460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 71 429 scj in complete carb to oil pan original condition. it's never been rebuilt or apart and it turns over freely. also attached is the original C6 with cast iron tailshaft untouched.
not sure of the mileage, but it is complete and looks to be in good original conditon.

i would like to know what the actual value of this motor would be if i was to buy it.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
i would pay somewhere between $800 to $1000 for the motor, if the tranny is good add $300. AND HOPE THE BLOCK IS NOT CRACKED! you always risk this when you buy something this old. If everything is all good i would probley go as high as $1,500 thats if i needed it. some others may feel its worth more, but with all the aftetmarket heads and blocks cranks ect: i feel its just old iron. the differance is if your restoring a 70-71 mustang/torino, it could bring more $$$$. IMO the block would be the most valuable of all the parts if its 4 bolt mains. if 2 bolt block, $1,200 would be my highest offer,

good luck

·
Registered
546 Posts
This is an interesting thread... I know a guy who says his dad has a 429 SCJ hidden away in a shed somewhere in northern WI.

I have no idea what a guy should offer; but then I havent seen it yet either.

·
Registered
61 Posts
scj

scj valve covers worth 200 in todays dollars. dual point dist ? EX manifolds ?

I would say as much as $2500 to a 71 mustang guy.

Oh and all 429s are scj...till you go look @ them

·
Registered
250 Posts
Mach1Charlie, that was exactly what I was going to say. Sort of like anyone that had a 302 is a BOSS 302, but someone happened to stick a 2V carb on it. But certainly there is some of these engines still out there and the complete engine would be work a bit to someone who needed it for a car that was supposed to have it. Otherwise could almost part it out for more money. I would give $1000 for it right now if complete, but certainly worth more than that.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Is this the one in chicago for 4500.00 ? I've seen bare heads listed for 1000 dove blocks around 400 vc for 200 it ads up fast 4500 is a lot though but if you had a orig 429 car torino mustang etc. I'd pay it if I could take it apart first

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Are you sure it's a SCJ ? I'd have to have that proved before I'd pay anything for it. Lots of CJ motors turn into SCJ motors when someone is trying to sell.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'd make damn sure it's an SCJ or even a CJ before I'd give them a dime. Had a guy one time swear up and down that is uncle had a 429SCJ. When he finally took me to check it out it was a 390 2v with some chrome Powered by Ford valve covers. To non Ford people every big block is a 429SCJ and every small block is a 289 Hipo or a Boss 302.

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
i would pay somewhere between $800 to $1000 for the motor...
:confused: The OEM SCJ exhaiust manifolds alone are selling for as much as half that; the heads alone sell for your high figure; same with the block. Etc.

In short, the restoration guys could pay dearly for such a core. Hot rod enthusiasts, on the other hand, might see more value from their dollar if they spend it on today's hot rod parts.

Paul

·
Registered
385 Posts
what block and head casting numbers should they be?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I'd make damn sure it's an SCJ or even a CJ before I'd give them a dime. Had a guy one time swear up and down that is uncle had a 429SCJ. When he finally took me to check it out it was a 390 2v with some chrome Powered by Ford valve covers. To non Ford people every big block is a 429SCJ and every small block is a 289 Hipo or a Boss 302.
Man that is really off! LOL Usually they say a 428CJ. Will say sometimes, (rarely) works in reverse too some one says they have a 352 and turns out to be a 428CJ! Have to always look, just never know.

Had a 780 Holley from a 1970 SCJ. Sold it two years ago for about $300 and it needed a complete rebuild. To restorers this stuff can be worth a lot of money. That is the market. If it has the VIN stamped in you can get a Marti report that will tell you what exact car it came out of, build date, options, etc... can help bring a higher price.

Some of the parts worth a lot of money is the emissions equipment. Is hard to find as so many tossed it years ago.

Steve

·
Registered
860 Posts
Another suggestion to make double-damn-sure it's REALLY an SCJ. As others have noted, every 429 seems to magically become an SCJ no matter how garden-variety the origin.

Brad

·
Registered
1 Posts
i would pay somewhere between $800 to $1000 for the motor, if the tranny is good add $300. AND HOPE THE BLOCK IS NOT CRACKED! you always risk this when you buy something this old. If everything is all good i would probley go as high as $1,500 thats if i needed it. some others may feel its worth more, but with all the aftetmarket heads and blocks cranks ect: i feel its just old iron. the differance is if your restoring a 70-71 mustang/torino, it could bring more $$$$. IMO the block would be the most valuable of all the parts if its 4 bolt mains. if 2 bolt block, $1,200 would be my highest offer,

good luck
I have 1969 429 police interceptor engine completely rebuilt new pistons cam lifters timing kit oil pump what's it worth

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have 1969 429 police interceptor engine completely rebuilt new pistons cam lifters timing kit oil pump what's it worth
the 429 Pi for 69 was rated at 320 Horse and ,much less desireable than the 428 Pi of that year that was rated at 360!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts