460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I am new to the 460ford.com. My name is Eric I live in Tampa, Florida. I recently bought a 72 F100 XLT that had a 302 with a t 18 tranny installed. Ran poorly so I snatched it out put a spare 289 w/ a thumper cam and having some head issue currently, however I just bought a 71 429 with the dreaded d2ve heads on it. I bought a c6 tranny for it and plan on a rebuild and shift solenoid. I tore it down this past weekend and took to machine shop to see if block was good. They advised me i have to bore .60 over and I am wondering ;

1. Which kit I should select and some suggestions in regards to the rotating assembly as there are so many kits out there.
2. As well I am seeking some heads that could handle a possible 545 stroker kit with a decent cam.

Any input would be great as I am new to the BBF work and have been a SBF guy my whole life. Appreciate all input seems like a great community of people, excited to get rolling on this. As for a budget I would like to build this as affordable as possible, so a budget friendly amount I know a kit approx is going to run the 1 to 2k and heads 1 to 2k plus machine work. Just looking for people whom have past experience or input that can help guide me to build a quality hot rod without spending the money where it isnt extremely necessary.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hello All,
I am new to the 460ford.com. My name is Eric I live in Tampa, Florida. I recently bought a 72 F100 XLT that had a 302 with a t 18 tranny installed. Ran poorly so I snatched it out put a spare 289 w/ a thumper cam and having some head issue currently, however I just bought a 71 429 with the dreaded d2ve heads on it. I bought a c6 tranny for it and plan on a rebuild and shift solenoid. I tore it down this past weekend and took to machine shop to see if block was good. They advised me i have to bore .60 over and I am wondering ;

1. Which kit I should select and some suggestions in regards to the rotating assembly as there are so many kits out there.
2. As well I am seeking some heads that could handle a possible 545 stroker kit with a decent cam.

Any input would be great as I am new to the BBF work and have been a SBF guy my whole life. Appreciate all input seems like a great community of people, excited to get rolling on this. As for a budget I would like to build this as affordable as possible, so a budget friendly amount I know a kit approx is going to run the 1 to 2k and heads 1 to 2k plus machine work. Just looking for people whom have past experience or input that can help guide me to build a quality hot rod without spending the money where it isnt extremely necessary.
Welcome aboard,
I just did a 521 ( CHP kit ) with worked big valve D0VE heads and not to rain on you parade, but your cost is way off. Youll be into a 545 with aluminum heads for probably over $7k, if not way more. Here is an out, Keep it a 429, new pistons,custom cam, recurved dizzy and good carb/intake, use the money then for a good set of heads/valve train, have the deck zeroed, lots of power to be had in that simple motor. BUT if you must ( as I had to ) plan on much more $. There is a thread on here of builds and power levels,search that as a starting point. BTW, I love that body style!
Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there A Bomb thanks for the reply, I was looking at the 545 kits on ebay seemed close to what I get at speed shop machine work will be 600 at speed shop heads I can get for 2k with rockers and push rods what else am I missing that is so costly. Just liked to know as I possibly will build a 351w if it's going to be 7k thats a insane number for me lol think more like 3 to 4

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
3-4 K won't build a 545. Beyond the heads and rotating assembly you will need cam, lifters, push rods, timing set, intake manifold, exhaust headers, ignition, machine work, fuel system on and on, then after building the engine you will want to take a look at the transmission and rear gears. Don't forget all the small gadgets such as gaskets, bolts and other assorted hardware.

I'm building a 545 and I'm knocking on the $10,000 door and I haven't done the machine work yet. It all adds up quick....

you can build a strong 460 with some smaller goals as far as horse power and cubic inches....talk to the "Mad Porter" he is a member here and a vendor, with the budget you mentioned he can get you going in the right direction.

Dan

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey etomasko,
Didnt want to throw you off your game, but these other guys are right on the money, I'm in nearly $8-9k myself ( kinda scared to add it up ). The pushrods will need to be bought after you measure for them during assembly, thats a couple hundo, lifters and cam can run anywhere from $250 up to well over $800 for a roller and lifters, the proper dist will be a couple hundo also. The oil pan I used is from canton, it and the pump/pickup was about $650. It all adds up fast. My rebuilt carbs I'm into for about $1k. If you can find really good deals and get the heads, like you said for $2k, a good/decent stroker will be at least $2k. Right there you have $4k before machine work or any little stuff. If thats out of range, dont poo-poo on a great 429 build, dont forget that out of the factory they were pretty stout. Rebuild it as a 429, use a stealth intake, get a custom cam ( mad porter ) run a 750/800/850 vac sec holley and a good dizzy. If you run the $2k heads you can get, you could be all in for around your budget, I/m not kidding when I say you can make a smoking hot 429. Just dont forget to ensure that your compression ration go no higher than about 10-10.5 to one, assuming good quench, that will keep you with pump gas. Half of the build will be research, lots of info here, I spent a lot of time lurking and asked some questions on here. Hunt the classifieds here for deals and racing junk and ebay/craigslist. My first 385 series build was a 77 460, just changed the cam/timing chain and intake/carb, real cheap and it flew, take a look, dont give up on the wondrous 385 series! :)

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Hope we didn't scare you off, my car with the stock 460 had grunt once I put good ignition and carburetor on it, these engines have allot of torque, with some well thought out mods you can have a real strong runner within your budget

1 - 7 of 7 Posts