460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to purchase a 429SCJ motor and a C-6 tran and headers with a car I am purchasing
Block Code#Dove-A Heads Code #Dooe-R
What is this worth????
Where could I advertise this?????

·
Registered
137 Posts
Do you know the current status of this engine? How many miles, does it run, does it smoke, does it leak, does it knock, etc.....
My point is buying the engine just to turn around at sell it could be a gamble and whoever buys it from you is probably going to ask all of these questions and many more.

·
Registered
158 Posts
its a CJ motor.. the intake makes it a SCJ
Wrong, forged alum pistons (not cast), solid cam/lifters (not hyd), 7/16 adjustable rocker arm studs (not 3/8" top torqued down), (double nuts on studs), 780 Holley (not 760 Rottenchester), ALWAYS a 4 bolt block. CJ was either 2 or 4 bolt block.

·
Registered
470 Posts
If you ticked off the drag pack on the option sheet you automatically got the SCJ engine. You couldn't get one without the other.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Not true, But a Drag Pak automatily got you the SCJ.

Options in 70/71 Torino/Fairlane 302/220, $90; 351/250, $135; 351/300, f183; 429/380. $282; 429/370, $446; 429/370 Ram-Air, §501; 4-Speeq with Hurstshifter, $194; Cruise-O-Matic, $201 (six, 302, 351); $222 (429): Power front disc brakes, $65; Drag Pack differential, 3.91:1 Traction-Lok, $155; Drag Pack differential. 4.30:1 Detroit Locker, $207; Heavy-duty suspension. $23 (NA 429); Shaker hood scoop. $66 (351/300): Tachometer, 8000 rpm, $49; Styled steel wheels, argent. $58; Magnum 500 chrome wheels, $155; Bucket-type front seats, $133 (2-dr hardtop except Fairlane 500, SportsRoof and convertible): Console. $64 (same models as buckets); Laser Stripe $39 (GT only; Sports Slats, $65 (SportsRoof). (Prices as of 12/19/69)

That Holley caused the most confusion. In 1970 and 1971, Ford offered the Cobra Jet in a few different configurations. The difference between the Ram Air and non-Ram Air versions is evident in the engine code in the VIN: C for non-Ram Air and J for Ram Air. But the difference between Cobra Jet and what has since become known as the Super Cobra Jet is more subtle.
First off, Ford doesn't appear to have ever called the latter option ''Super Cobra Jet'' in any of its literature. Instead, it referred to the Drag Pack, which was available on either C-code or J-code engines, with either the Toploader four-speed or C6 automatic transmissions. The Drag Pack wasn't well advertised, either; it required optioning up either 3.91 or 4.30 gears in the rear axle, which was then beefed up with a nodular case, 31-spline axle shafts and Traction-Lok (with the 3.91 gears) or a Detroit Locker (with the 4.30 gears).
The Drag Pack also automatically triggered several upgrades for the engine. The Rochester Quadrajet, used on all Cobra Jet 429s in 1970-'71 for emissions compliance, was replaced with a Holley 780-CFM four-barrel, while the hydraulic-lifter camshaft of the Cobra Jet 429 was swapped out for a solid-lifter camshaft. All Super Cobra Jet blocks received four-bolt main caps (in 1970, but not in 1971, the regular Cobra Jet 429 used two-bolt main blocks, later used 4bolt to use them up from the surplus), and all Super Cobra Jet engines received forged pistons.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Here's a Ranchero I used to own 30 years ago. It was a Drag pack car with the enhanced 429 in it. 1 of 12 built.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Nice picture, took a second to get past all the mullets....always liked the Ranchero

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
its a CJ motor.. the intake makes it a SCJ
A solid lifter
cam & forged pistons with a 4150 intake makes it an scj, a cj 429 is a hyd lifter cam with a q jet carb and intake.

·
Registered
158 Posts
A solid lifter
cam & forged pistons with a 4150 intake makes it an scj, a cj 429 is a hyd lifter cam with a q jet carb and intake.
More then cam, pistons and intake/carb. There is valve train differences and a SCJ block was always a 4 bolt. CJ went either way depending on build date. Also the governor was a 6000 rpm vice 5800.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
rockers are the same, studs are diff for pos+ stop over adjustable 7/16, fulcrums are also the same.

both use same guide plates. now we are splitting hairs. theres a rh and lh piston for the cj cast piston, etc etc

·
Registered
470 Posts
I still have set of D0OE standard bore forged pistons from my old Ranchero. Inside of the piston has TRW embedded in it. When I pulled the engine down it had 2 pistons that had cracked skirts which was a issue with them and the Boss 302's.

Picture was taken in either 1985 or 87 at Bremerton raceway at the All Ford Drags.

·
Registered
158 Posts
rockers are the same, studs are diff for pos+ stop over adjustable 7/16, fulcrums are also the same.

both use same guide plates. now we are splitting hairs. theres a rh and lh piston for the cj cast piston, etc etc
No note splitting hairs. There's a big difference between a 7/16" adjustable stud with lock nut and a torque down nut on the CJs. A 4 bolt block always with a SCJ and a 2 or 4 with the CJs depending on when built is also a big issue. Just ask someone that owns one.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Please read my post , and I have a few

oh, and not all cjs are just a torque down nut,lol

Reactions: dacofa

·
Registered
158 Posts
Build date and who built it, sure makes a difference, that's for sure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts