460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have several stock crankshafts and was looking at the diferances in the 429 vs. the 460. first thing i noticed (other than the stroke) was a extra counterweight cast into the first throw of the 460 crank not seen on the 429? also was wondering what marks
(if any) were used to identify the 429 cobra jet cranks? i have one 429 crank that has a noticable machine mark on the third throw not seen on my other 429-460 units. also did the 460 and the 429 use the same balancer? i also have the set of flat top pistons and rods out of this one 429 motor with the machine mark on the crank and the guy i bought it from said that the rotating assy was swaped over from a CJ motor into the D1ve-A2B block due to a cracked Dove block it was in. Make any sense to anybody? i always thought that there was no differance in the CJ cranks and the stock 429 cranks other than selection of harder iron, and that they were all "cast" cranks? how do you tell a CJ crank from a regular 429 crank ?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
maybe Paul will chime in for this one

·
Premium Member
5,597 Posts
i have several stock crankshafts and was looking at the diferances. first thing i noticed was a extra counterweight cast into the first throw of the 460 crank not seen on the 429?
The 460 crank is quickly identifiable (from a 429 crankshaft) by the embossment on the front of the first counterweight.

i always thought that there was no differance in the CJ cranks and the stock 429 cranks other than selection of harder iron, and that they were all "cast" cranks? how do you tell a CJ crank from a regular 429 crank/was wondering what marks (if any) were used to identify the 429 cobra jet cranks?
I have never heard of the 429 CJ/429 SCJ crankshafts being any different than any other 3.59" stroke 4U cast crankshaft from a standard 429 passenger car engine, but I could be mistaken. I have heard that the FE 428 CJ crankshafts were identifiable by a Brinell stamp mark where they were checked for hardness. I don't know that this test was performed on the 429 385 Series 4U cranks, but even if the casting material is different given the overall design I seriously doubt it would be measurably superior (strengh-wise) in a real world engine build.

i have one 429 crank that has a noticable machine mark on the third throw not seen on my other 429-460 units.
Need a pic but likely insiginficant within this subject.

also did the 460 and the 429 use the same balancer?
On any given year of production the balancers are essentially the same on all engines.

i also have the set of flat top pistons and rods out of this one 429 motor with the machine mark on the crank and the guy i bought it from said that the rotating assy was swapped over from a CJ motor into the D1ve-A2B block due to a cracked Dove block it was in. Make any sense to anybody?
If that 429 rotating assembly with flat top pistons come from a CJ/SCJ, then the pistons are forged pistons by TRW.

Paul

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks paul,

·
Premium Member
5,597 Posts
429 crankshaft: 4U is cast and 4UA is forged, my 4UA cranks is Brinell test mark.
I don't know about the FE Series engines, but the 385 Series 429 4UA crankshafts are not forged, they are cast. Every one of them. The 4UA crankshaft was simply cast later than the 4U crankshafts. If you are reading a book thast says the 429 4UA crankshaft is forged, then the book is incorrect.

Paul

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i agree with paul, i have never seen a passenger car 429 "fordged" carnk.

where is the brinell test mark? is it on the 3rd counterweight? i have heard that the cj cranks were brinell tested.

·
Registered
74 Posts
brinnell test mark on cj crank

I was reading about the mark on one of my research books this morning. when I get home to my research materials I can quote book and page # but the book did not tell where that mark is or what it is. I would like to know what and where that mark is. thanks.
jim oberg

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Last year I built an early 1965 HP 289 engine for a Mustang restoration. The engine I started with was 100% original and the crankshaft had been hardness tested. It had a place that was polished near the back of the crank on one of the counterweights and the crank itself was marked with some orange paint that was close to "Chevy" orange. It would seem that if hardness was checked on the 429 CJ cranks that it would be done similarly.. I should have taken a few pictures.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
IIRC , the 370 and 429 large truck cranks were forged BUT that is a totally different animal as the cranks won't interchange.

·
Premium Member
9,344 Posts
IIRC , the 370 and 429 large truck cranks were forged BUT that is a totally different animal as the cranks won't interchange.
The 370 crank is cast the 429 HD is however forged.

I have heard and read about the brinell testing of the 429 CJ cranks and have checked several from unopened CJ and SCJ engines. No evidence of any hardness testing that I have seen...

S

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
The 460 crank is quickly identifiable (from a 429 crankshaft) by the embossment on the front of the first counterweight.

I have never heard of the 429 CJ/429 SCJ crankshafts being any different than any other 3.59" stroke 4U cast crankshaft from a standard 429 passenger car engine, but I could be mistaken. I have heard that the FE 428 CJ crankshafts were identifiable by a Brinell stamp mark where they were checked for hardness. I don't know that this test was performed on the 429 385 Series 4U cranks, but even if the casting material is different given the overall design I seriously doubt it would be measurably superior (strengh-wise) in a real world engine build.

Need a pic but likely insiginficant within this subject.

On any given year of production the balancers are essentially the same on all engines.

If that 429 rotating assembly with flat top pistons come from a CJ/SCJ, then the pistons are forged pistons by TRW.

Paul

yes all the 429( except BOSS 429) cranks are 4U, but the CJ pistons are cast, and they are made as right or left pistons, whereas the scj are forged, both with single pocket for intake valve

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just went and looked at my scj I was the first to take it apart and rebuild it that was 1985 just so happen to have the motor out and apart and it has 4U but no hardness test that I can find

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes the pistons are cast flat tops with left or right placement w/ single eyebrow, the crank has for sure been hardness tested because I have seen other pass car 429 cranks with no machine mark on the throw.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
460 PI crankshaft

Last year I built an early 1965 HP 289 engine for a Mustang restoration. The engine I started with was 100% original and the crankshaft had been hardness tested. It had a place that was polished near the back of the crank on one of the counterweights and the crank itself was marked with some orange paint that was close to "Chevy" orange. It would seem that if hardness was checked on the 429 CJ cranks that it would be done similarly.. I should have taken a few pictures.
my 460 PI crankshaft has the same orange paint on it and I will try to post up some pics of the animal.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
my 460 PI crankshaft has the same orange paint on it and I will try to post up some pics of the animal.
Yes, that's just like what the 289 crank had for orange paint. But on that engine there was also a polished area around the end of the rear counterweight that was about the size of a nickel.

·
Registered
74 Posts
orange paint

Yes, that's just like what the 289 crank had for orange paint. But on that engine there was also a polished area around the end of the rear counterweight that was about the size of a nickel.
when I get home tonite i'll inspect the counterweight and look for a polished area. thanks.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts