460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advise. I have a CCLB '83 F350 that I am restoring/rebuilding. I currently have a 460 crate motor with about 15K miles on it that came with the truck when I purchased it. It is a 4x4, 4.10 gears, with a manual 4 speed tranny (a farm truck). I intend to use the truck as a general use/towing vehicle. I've noticed that the setup I have now works well locally, but I tend to tow boats and trailers long-ish distances, over mountain passes. I plan to get a 5 speed manual transmission to aid in highway MPG and RPM (and I have no need for the "granny low" gear). But I am also planning to replace the engine to get a bit more HP and Torque. After considering converting it to diesel, I started to look at staying on the 460 platform. That got me looking at ATK stroker motors. The downfall is it seems that these are built more toward racing (ie: high RPM). I want torque. I want to tow comfortably at 70MPH. With room to accelerate for hills/passes. I have built many of my own engines, but I am looking more for a "purchased complete" option at this time. I have a lot of suspension, body, and interior work to handle - I don't want to throw an engine build in the mix.

Also, MPG is a consideration, but not the make or break feature. I just want a capable setup that does not leave me wishing I just did a 7.3L conversion. Buying a new truck is also not an option as I am partial to the '80-'86 F-series platform. I really just want it to be surprisingly modern in capability - a "do everything" truck that turns heads...

Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions? I'm just lost as to which direction to take this thing: Built 460 with blower/supercharger vs Stroker 521, 514, 502 vs ???

I need guidance. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
817 Posts
You may not want to hear this but towing and diesels go together like hotdogs and chili. If I were in you’re shoes I would strongly consider a Cummins swap. I love my 2001 7.3 SD but for ease of install a mechanical 5.9 is the way to go and they came with a NV4500 5spd.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Honestly id see nothing wrong with a low rpm big valve d3 headed 545 with a healthy sized hydraulic flat tappet. go external balance and add a zf 5 speed from a 87-96. get a overdrive and 3.55 gears and got a bombproof setup for towing. May be a little thirsty but lots of power

·
Registered
817 Posts
Honestly id see nothing wrong with a low rpm big valve d3 headed 545 with a healthy sized hydraulic flat tappet. go external balance and add a zf 5 speed from a 87-96. get a overdrive and 3.55 gears and got a bombproof setup for towing. May be a little thirsty but lots of power
I agree but the single digit MPG is a big deal in the age of $4.00 a gallon fuel not that diesel is cheaper.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Have a 545 pump gas stroker (4.5 stroke, 4.39 bore) that comes with the Fox body Canton rear sump pan, Fox body headers and engine mounts. It has ported Dove C heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold with Holley 950 HP carb, Comp Cams roller cam, lifters & valvetrain, Scat stroker kit with forged pistons, roller rockers, roller timing set, SFI balancer, etc. Heads have big stainless valves, titanium retainers. For your needs could sell the roller cam and replace with the cam of your choice. Selling for 3500.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
The Mad Porter has a "tow pack" crate engine 521ci 570hp @5000rpm & 650tq on pump gas with 9.8 comp AFR heads.

Or build a 460ci with pro comp heads and add a single turbo...........all the TORQUE you will ever need.

Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I think I have decided on 514 or 521 - I plan to hit up the Mad Porter at PPAM to look into what options he has that will best fit my need. That said, what are your guy's thoughts on transmission? I'm guessing that a ZF S5-42 will be the best bet, but I am considering an NV4500 as well. Thoughts, ideas, or experiences?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree but the single digit MPG is a big deal in the age of $4.00 a gallon fuel not that diesel is cheaper.
Yeah I was concerned about that too, but after really looking into it I realized that a nice used diesel would run me $40K or more. By the time I spend $40K in fuel (assuming 7 MPG) at my current yearly mileage, I'll be 64. I'm 43 now. So really it's not too big of a deal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You think I should switch the 4.10's out for 3.55's? Why?

·
Registered
61 Posts
You think I should switch the 4.10's out for 3.55's? Why?
I figured you were chasing fuel mileage a bit. Ive had trucks with 4:10s and for the most part a 460 dont need that extra bit of help with the 4:10. Plenty of torque as is. So with a 521 or so id figure youd be fine and maybe pick up a fair bit of mileage at cruising speeds. But in the same sentence you can also buy alot of gas for the cost of a gear change haha

·
Registered
817 Posts
Yeah I was concerned about that too, but after really looking into it I realized that a nice used diesel would run me $40K or more. By the time I spend $40K in fuel (assuming 7 MPG) at my current yearly mileage, I'll be 64. I'm 43 now. So really it's not too big of a deal.
I was referring to putting a diesel heartbeat into youre truck not buying a diesel powered vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have a 545 pump gas stroker (4.5 stroke, 4.39 bore) that comes with the Fox body Canton rear sump pan, Fox body headers and engine mounts. It has ported Dove C heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold with Holley 950 HP carb, Comp Cams roller cam, lifters & valvetrain, Scat stroker kit with forged pistons, roller rockers, roller timing set, SFI balancer, etc. Heads have big stainless valves, titanium retainers. For your needs could sell the roller cam and replace with the cam of your choice. Selling for 3500.
I want that engine and if I can put some things together I intend to buy it. can you pm me so that we may talk? I apologize for derailing your post. Brian W.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You may not want to hear this but towing and diesels go together like hotdogs and chili. If I were in you’re shoes I would strongly consider a Cummins swap. I love my 2001 7.3 SD but for ease of install a mechanical 5.9 is the way to go and they came with a NV4500 5spd.
I've always wondered whether it was possible to put the International mechanical wet sleeve engines in an F350, namely the 5.9L DT360 or the 7.6L DT466.

Maybe the adapter plates simply don't exist?

And maybe the DT466 simply won't fit under the F350 hood?

I'd love to see a mechanical wet sleeve International in a crew cab Ford.

That would be a BOSS truck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts