460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I talked about and had my engine for sale but it didn’t last long and I decided to keep it. Just love it to much. To help with the fun factor I picked up a 6R80 out of a 2013 F150 with 38K on it for $600 which I couldn’t pass up, bought the block adapter and the quick six gen 2 controller. Now my only question is anyone running the PA68509 adapter kit with the stock converter? It’s listed for a SB and when I talked to PA they said I would need a custom converter. $98 dollars sounds a lot better then $1400. Not sure if this is posted in the right place. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
90 Posts
well, I inquired about this to bensen`s adaptors, they offer an adaptor plate for AOD/4r70, they make all sorts of combos, they told me the starter on 6r80`s is a three bolt style, no way to praticle mount a early two bolt. They probably were not aware of existing two bolt cases, I sure was not!. If my information regarding starter location is false, I would LOVE to run 6r80 in a 71 mustang 521!!
For the money you saved on the computer and adaptor a custom converter ferom circle D or the like would be a bargin. Contact PA see how to test their controller for proper operation BEFORE you start this project. Then get a junk 460 block to mock up starter, ect. in garage.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the PA68508 adapter plate. it showed up yesterday and it uses the stock starter and starter location w/2 bolts. PA’s controller is a US shift controller from what I was told by Kevin at US shift. Which I got the US shift quick 6 gen 2.The 460 adapter is a 1 piece not a 2 piece like the SBF and there is no cutting of the bell housing like the SBF. I was only asking about the 1/2inch spacer kit for the converter PA sells. From what I’ve read so far the pilot hole size are the same. I’m gonna order it and see what happens...

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do! I should have the motor and trans together by next weekend. I’m in the middle of doing a crown Vic swap on the truck and a rear 4 link. I’m still waiting for the rest of my rear suspension parts and coilovers to show up before I’ll get to drive it.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I'm running a 6r80 behind my 521 in my 1970 torino. I'm using the 1/2 inch converter spacers with the stock 3.5 ecoboost converter no problem so far. Iv driven this combo for about 100 miles, at first the shifts are really harsh but once you get some miles on it things really smooth out. Shift are smooth on low throttle, but drop the the hammer and she will chirp 1-3. Downshift are quick and precise. Well worth the investment.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok
I have been looking for a tranny upgrade for my 429 C6 in a 71 Ranchero.
Could someone post exactly what I would need for this swap.
Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is a list of what I bought.

• 2011 and up 6R80 2wd 3.5 ecoboost. It has to be the 3.5 bell housing. local junk yard $600 with converter w/38k
  • PA68508 transmission adapter plate $523 from Summit
  • PA68509 Converter Adapter to use the stock 6R80 converter $96 from Summit
  • US Shift Quick 6 controller $1200 from Late Model Restoration
  • Ordered a rear flange yoke Dana spicer 2-2-03489 should be here Thursday to make sure it works $45 from northern driveline.
  • I’ll have my local driveline shop make me a new driveline probably gonna be around $200
  • I’m putting mine in a 66 F100 so I’m probably gonna build the transmission crossmember.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for the information. I can start ordering tomorrow. With the 6R80 I can swap out my 3.25 Detroit Locker for a 3.73 or a 4.33 and still get a little mileage.
Much appreciated.
Greg

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have also read that the 5.0 6R80 would work. Anyone know if this is true? Does the 5.0 share the same bell housing as the 3.5? Just curious.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would like to know to. I don't have the trans yet and would think the 5.0 trans would hold a little more HP.
Greg

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I called Performance Automatic their adapter is specific for the 3.5. So I’m assuming the bell housings are different. In my opinion a 6R80 is a 6R80 just like a C6 is a C6 no difference just the bell housings.

·
Registered
49 Posts
One of the reasons I was wondering about the 5.0 trans is I can find a bunch of them around here but the 3.5 is scarce. I called all the salvage yards within an 80 mile distance and none of them had the trans for the 3.5 but most had ones for the 5.0.
Guess I will have to look around a little further.
Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Check EBay I know that’s a bad word... but there is a lot on there cheap when I was looking I just got lucky with our yard. And they actually had it shipped down from Eugene, OR to Klamath for no extra cost.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I will give it a look but with E Bay you never can trust what you get with used parts.
I would hate to buy one and then have to pull it and do a rebuild after it didn't work right.
Greg

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah eBay is a little iffy. I bought the best heads money could buy from there they‘re Pro Comps best heads ever... J/K

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the PA68508 adapter plate. it showed up yesterday and it uses the stock starter and starter location w/2 bolts. PA’s controller is a US shift controller from what I was told by Kevin at US shift. Which I got the US shift quick 6 gen 2.The 460 adapter is a 1 piece not a 2 piece like the SBF and there is no cutting of the bell housing like the SBF. I was only asking about the 1/2inch spacer kit for the converter PA sells. From what I’ve read so far the pilot hole size are the same. I’m gonna order it and see what happens...
Woo-Hoo!! Now THAT`S what I am talking about! So now I am VERY interested in your project!!
Converter extension not a big deal, the v-6 bolt pattern use a two bolt starter, Mod motor 5.0`s use a three bolt version, that must be why they recommend a 6r out of 3.5 eco`s, U.S. shift are the best.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts