460 Ford Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm running a 6r80 behind my 521 in my 1970 torino. I'm using the 1/2 inch converter spacers with the stock 3.5 ecoboost converter no problem so far. Iv driven this combo for about 100 miles, at first the shifts are really harsh but once you get some miles on it things really smooth out. Shift are smooth on low throttle, but drop the the hammer and she will chirp 1-3. Downshift are quick and precise. Well worth the investment.
chevyslayer or66F100466, does the PA spacer PA68509 fit into the the crank pilot on a 460? I have a similar engine set up in my 55 ford, and would love to do this swap!
Also do the extensions work in a stock 460 flexplate? or do holes have to be drilled?
One more questions, I have read cooler lines should not be downsized on a 6r80, are you guys running stand alone coolers only?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The converter bolt patterns are the same size. My converter adapter kit was suppose to be here Wednesday but never showed should be here today. I’ll take pictures of everything as I’m mounting the trans. I’m going to run a stand alone cooler. There is a lot of aftermarket manifolds out there to adapt to the 8an

·
Registered
10 Posts
The converter bolt patterns are the same size. My converter adapter kit was suppose to be here Wednesday but never showed should be here today. I’ll take pictures of everything as I’m mounting the trans. I’m going to run a stand alone cooler. There is a lot of aftermarket manifolds out there to adapt to the 8an
Awesome, cant wait for the pics, and thanks for the info and pics shared so far!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So I got the kit tonight. Had to take about an 1/8th of the original converter bolts. Cleaned them up and attached the spacers. The pilot spacer slides right into the crank and right on the converter. The instructions say to test fit the converter before installing the transmission which is what I did.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So I made the mistake of mating the transmission and getting ready to put it back in the truck and realized instructions are there for a reason. This would be the only thing I don’t like about the adapter plate you have to install the starter first before mating the transmission. The top bolt for the starter comes from the back side and is flush with the adapter. I’m sure you could drill the threads out of the starter and add a stud to the adapter plate or dremel out enough material from the bellhousing to get the bolt out.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Sorry I haven’t posted any updates. I just got the 4 link done on the truck and I’m still waiting for my front coil overs for the front to be finished. Hopefully in a week or 2 I’ll be able to drive it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just a curious question. What is everyone using for shifters with the 6R80? I have an 83 bronco that I am restoring and am starting to look at how to do the shifter for this trans behind my 460.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I was going to buy the Lokar shifter. Fits my year of truck/style and I had one of their shifters before. I know PBH performance has some items and PA.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The thing I like about Lokar is you get to choose shifter length which would be good for a Bronco.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Someone please straighten me out here before I go buy the wrong transmission. Do I need a transmission from a 3.5 or 5.0 or will it work with either one? I emailed PA and have not heard back from them. While it is not going to make a difference I will need a 4 wheel drive transmission as I am adapting an NP205 transfer case.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Any problems with going with a late 2014 and up? This is when the made a change to the torque converter and pump drive.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts