460 Ford Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
No
Any one of them from 12 and up will work. The 14 up is preferred IMO but the early ones will work.
The only thing is the 12-13 are cheaper if someone is trying to do it on a budget.
Greg

·
Registered
94 Posts
Someone please straighten me out here before I go buy the wrong transmission. Do I need a transmission from a 3.5 or 5.0 or will it work with either one? I emailed PA and have not heard back from them. While it is not going to make a difference I will need a 4 wheel drive transmission as I am adapting an NP205 transfer case.
Someone please straighten me out here before I go buy the wrong transmission. Do I need a transmission from a 3.5 or 5.0 or will it work with either one? I emailed PA and have not heard back from them. While it is not going to make a difference I will need a 4 wheel drive transmission as I am adapting an NP205 transfer case.
You need a ntwo bolt starter case .3.5 eco motor. %.) have modular three bolt starter, check u.s. shift website!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
you need a 3.5 ecoboost bellhousing

·
Registered
94 Posts
JJU9507 is correct, the instructions from the PA conversion plate say it is designed for a 3.5 ecoboost bellhousing only
Just think, big block and small block chebbys all use SAME trans bolt pattern, Why ford keeps screwing around with two bolt starters ( of which there are now two versions) and three bolt versions is beyond me. No wonder most folks builds chebbies LOL.

·
Registered
94 Posts
No
Any one of them from 12 and up will work. The 14 up is preferred IMO but the early ones will work.
The only thing is the 12-13 are cheaper if someone is trying to do it on a budget.
Greg
Ford went back to a TWO bolt starter on coyote motors, But pattern is NOT the same as earlier small block ford/3.5 v-6 pattern Why, oh why ford keeps changing the game:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for the information. I can start ordering tomorrow. With the 6R80 I can swap out my 3.25 Detroit Locker for a 3.73 or a 4.33 and still get a little mileage.
Much appreciated.
Greg
1st gear ratio is 4.19, keep your 3.25 it will be first gear overall ratio of of 13.6, 3.73 will become 15,62!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Bendtsen Speed Gems sells an adapter for the 6r80 out of a 5.0-5.4 engine. It is a complete kit included the starter and all bolts and washers etc.
Part number FO1002501. $1675.00
The advantage of using the V8 trans is the eco boost has fewer clutches then the Mustang GT and the F-150 has more clutches then the GT.
Greg

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
That is a nice kit for sure. The issue I ran into was clearance with the bell housing and trans tunnel. Luckily I had adjustable mounts from Outcast to get it to fit. With that kit I don’t know if it would have cleared adding the extra length to the trans. It’s a pretty tight fit in my truck

·
Registered
736 Posts
Very nice kit. Loved his comparison to the "other" kit. Great design and makes changing starters easier than removing the tranny for that one bolt. Also love the idea of using the V* transmission. Granted I can find the 3.5 cheaper but out of the box the 5.0 transmission should be stronger.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
The small block kit from PA is the one you need to grind/cut on. Mine went on with no modifications. When I mentioned the 3.5 bolt pattern you need that one specific to the PA adapter I bought. The only grinding that I will do is to make a enough clearance to get the starter bolt out. Looking at the HP/ TQs for the 3.5 and the 5.0 its pretty close looks like the eco boost actually puts down more torque.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That is quite a difference in price even if they have overcome the starter bolt issue. We will see how well they sell on the market.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
My other question would be about the spacer for the torque converter. Would it cause more wear and tear on bearings and seals? Just a curious question. It looks like a quality kit, not putting it down at all but I’m sure the question might come up or a search will lead to this thread.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I would say using a spacer ring for the torque converter adds some rigidity to the setup rather than having individual spacers. With individual spacers you might see some flexplate cracking from the mounting holes if you used a standard flexplate. The edges of a spacer would have stress risers along the edges where as using a spacer ring would eliminate those stress risers.
Even if it is just a street only ride I would use an SFI flexplate.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts