460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've looked at a number of the recipes on here for 460s. I'm wanting to keep this 72 F100 as a driver with some spirit so 400-450hp range. I have a few options available. All bolts going to be ARP and balance the motor. I have a set of D0VE heads that I'm going to go bigger on the exhaust valve and have them cleaned and opened up. I'd like my CR to be around 9.5. If I zero deck, and use 15cc HE pistons, that's around 10.9:1 if I got the numbers right. I'm not sure what's best combo. Stock relief pistons, zero deck or 15cc pistons and don't deck the block. I'm not sure which gives the best quench. Next, I have an edelbrock performer intake, and from what I read, RPM Airgap is better but not sure if it's worth buying when I already have a performer. I have a recurved HEI distributor that's brand new for my 400 which will bolt on. As for the cam, I need to give some background. Plan is to put a roller cam and rockers in. My concern is, I have a strong 400 with an E4OD and 3.55 gears in my 79 f100, and I found that the engine lugs at 60 mph when in overdrive. I found a low mileage 6R80 trans and the adapter kit from PA. The 6R80 has a taller final OD, so I think Im going to need to keep my power band a little lower. I'm unsure of the rear gearing as the tag isn't readable, but I'm fairly certain it's 3.55. It's a 9" so not too hard to pull the 3rd member. I need to reseal it anyway. I'm thinking 3.73 is probably a much better choice anyway. I have read that the RV cam is the way to go, and I've also looked at multiple cam grinds that all seem like good choices. Can I get some input/opinions?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome.
2WD or 4WD?
Suggest mad porter's 425hp combo that I copied.

Don't need a bigger ex valve for that power level, but will need ex port/bowl work.
Zero deck, quench at gasket thickness (0.045 or so)
Use a 22cc or more dish piston
For that power level you can use a mild cam 213/227. Static comp can be as low a 9:1 to match.
No need for roller cam, lots of money to get a roller
Performer intake is a good match already.

I think the 460 making 400-500+ tq at any rpm will handle E4OD OD gear w/ 3.55, unless tires are tall.
One gear ratio change is usually waste of money.
6R80 swap would be lots of money, plus you have OD trans already. Spend that $ elsewhere. Nitrous, AFR heads

Reactions: eagle275

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have D3VE heads. The D0VE would cost me $200 more. I am going to buy new pistons either way, so if I do the D0VE I need to stay stock dish, or if I go 15cc and zero deck then the D3VE I'm guessing. The D3 needs the thermactor removed. Seems like 6 of one half dozen of the other. I debated on going with flat tappet hydraulic cam, but for $500 more I think I'd rather not worry about the zinc in the oil.

There's a bit of a translation issue. The E4OD is in my 79 ford with a 400. Same HP and TQ level I'm looking at in this one. I have 3.55 gears in that truck. So at 60 mph its cruising at about 1400 RPM. It lugs until it downshifts. The 6R80 will cost me almost exactly the same as the E4OD did. The 6R80 shifts quicker with a lot less parasitic loss. I wish I had put it in my 79. So for this 72 that's the plan. Going to use the truck as a daily driver, so really don't want 3k rpm cruising speed. The 72 currently has an FE 360 with a C6. So I need a different C6 if I go that route.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
The part throttle torque characteristics of a 400 with OC heads is markedly different than a properly sorted out 460.

If you insist on the 6R80 I'd run some gear so that your cruising RPM is about 1600 give or take.

Use this build that we do as a guide. A roller cam, lifters, springs and steel distributor gear are going to cost a grand more than a HFT cam kit.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for that. I sent the specs to my machine shop. couple questions though, since I already have a couple of these parts. Any problem using that billet HEI distributor I have? cam gear is for a roller, so I need to change it out I'm assuming. Next, I read torrington bearing on cam gear. can you elaborate on this? I already have an edelbrock double roller straight up timing set, will this be sufficient? Will the stock 4 barrel be ok for this, or does that need to be changed too? If I'm needing another carb, I will probably just go holley sniper. Any suggested changes for that?
Here's what I sent my machinist...
Hey Greg, I was planning to drop by there, but work has kept me really busy. Im going to change up some things on that 460 after doing quite a bit more research. We can go with the speed Pro pistons. H612CP 030 should be a 12cc dished pistons with Moly rings at .025 top and second gap. Deck the block to 0.025. Lets go Clevite ms1039P mains clevite cp818p rod bearings and F30 durabond cam bearings. Keep my D3VE heads 2.11” / 1.65” stainless valves, single spring with damper, p/c seals 306 /183 @ .600” lift exhaust with pipe. Do some port work on those heads to open up. Going to just go with a hydraulic tappet cam. Pretty much everyone is saying the roller isn’t worth it on this motor..... Also mentions a torrington bearing on the cam gear. I need to research that, not sure what that refers to. Other than that, balance the motor. let me know if you need any clarification.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts