460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To get you guys up to speed my buddy pulls 1980's chevy with a "true" 383 stroker and he won't shut up bout his damn truck. So anyways I went behind his back (the chevy guy doesnt no about it) and bought a 1984 F-250 with a 460 in it. The f-250 threw a rod out the oil pan and I got the hole truck for $400. But we also have a 460 out of a 70's lincoin thats fine, both need rebuildin. I really don't want to spend to much money on this truck. I have an aluminum high rise intake and a holley 750 4 barrel that we got free. Both motors are d1ve blocks with D3 heads on them, will prob port and polish them my self to save some money. But does anyone no what type of cam I should run in it, being a pullin truck n only 300ft. Motor will prob be stock reuse what we got, rebuild kits are like $400 for gaskets, rings, etc right? Also anyting that is kinda cheap that you guys would recommend that I would do would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hopefully 400 HP, don't no if it would be possible hitting that goal while using a stock short block. Not to blow it up lol. Running the sreet stock class so I really don't want to go off the walls to beat him and then get stuck running a super stock class just becuase what i got under the hood.

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
Get a set of early small chamber heads like DOVE-C's, Get the compression up a little bit, use a Comp Cams X4270H Cam, Performer RPM, 850 Holley, Set of headers, Good Ignition and your in business to woop on that 383...................... Also look at getting a little looser convertor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'd like a step of dove heads but can't find them for a reasonable price in the area. I have 2 sets of D3 Heads and if there port n polished they flow just as good rt? But its a sacrifice around 10:1 with doves and prob around 8:5 with D3's. Also I already have a 750 Holley, and a high rise aluminum intake, hei distributer, n its a 4 speed. But thanks for the input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts