460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I would like to know what is recommended for use for performance. What casting number blocks and heads are the best to use from the factory.
I found a D1VE-A2B. What are the best ones to use? What do you recommend? What are the castin numbers?

Thanks

·
Registered
299 Posts
Read the sticky's at the top of this thread, one for heads and one for blocks they will answer all of your questions. Any block will be fine unless you are going to be making big horsepower, heads it depends on usage, hp etc. read the sticky's then if you have more questions go to Paul Kane's site and read all the info there. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Hi

I would like to know what is recommended for use for performance. What casting number blocks and heads are the best to use from the factory.
I found a D1VE-A2B. What are the best ones to use? What do you recommend? What are the castin numbers?

Thanks
All of the blocks are going to have similar power handling capacity....or maybe better to say there is no particular block that's consistently better than another in that regard.

Some blocks have advantages over others in particular applications though. Same with heads. What exactly are you planning to build?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The engine I want to build is for a 76 F250. Its a toy. Something with 500-650HP. It will be used off road and lots of use at the sand dunes. What recipes do you recommend for an awesome play truck. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the sticky and I could not find any casting number info on which were the best heads and blocks to start with. Which factory blocks can be bored the most and still be useable. Which blocks have the thickest main webbing. Can someone please point me in the right direction.

thanks

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
I checked the sticky and I could not find any casting number info on which were the best heads and blocks to start with. Which factory blocks can be bored the most and still be useable. Which blocks have the thickest main webbing. Can someone please point me in the right direction.

thanks
Probably because there aren't any specific numbers which consistently are BETTER than others.

The main webs of the early blocks are not any stronger however, do present a flat surface if you are installing different main caps but, the scalloped oil pan rail is not as ridged as the later NON-scalloped blocks.
Later blocks have longer bores if you intend to have a long stroke.
Cylinder wall thickness are "hit & miss" on all of then so, they need to get sonic checked.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
The engine I want to build is for a 76 F250. Its a toy. Something with 500-650HP. It will be used off road and lots of use at the sand dunes. What recipes do you recommend for an awesome play truck. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks
500-650 horse is a cake walk for even a 2 bolt cast crank deal. What you have will be fine.
Heads: most of the early heads ported correctly with the larger valves will do 650 horse.
Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts