460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I just recently purchased a 460 with a C6 trans for a steal. Took apart the block to find one the cylinders were locked up due to rust, also found some pretty bad wear in the crank journals and rod bearings. It’s been bored over .030 from the previous owner. So, I took it to the machine shop to have it inspected and the block and heads are good. So right now, it’s in the process of being bored over .040 and will have to get a new crank, which the guys will be taking care of at the shop. I’m looking for advice on some pistons, probably will be using my stock rods. Also, I want to run a nice cam that’s pretty choppy. I have some dual comp springs that came with the heads. I’ve been thinking about getting a mutha thumpr cam but I’m not sure since it says it needs a 9:1 compression? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Heads are D0VE-C, Engine is a 1971 that came out of a Lincoln and I will be swapping it into my 1978 f100 step-side or flare-side for you old school guys!

·
Registered
9 Posts
i run the smallest thumpr cam in my 10.5 to 1 460. i will say the valve overlap (LSA) makes it need more compression then they suggest in my opinion. my cam is pretty choppy but all the guys on here give me a hard time about it saying they are worthless for performance. i havent run a different cam in this motor so i cant say if this cam lacks but it sure seems to pull hard and steady from down low to about 5200 or so which is where its limited. if u have less then 10 to 1 i think the mutha thumpr might take away from the low end too much and leave u lacking.

·
Premium Member
8,806 Posts
Tight LSA, early intake valve closing and the advance ground into the Thumpr cams tend to generate higher DCR and lower the HP peak RPM.

The problem you run into with an engine like the 460, especially with iron heads, is the excessive overlap contaminates the intake charge when the exhaust port backs up. Especially true in the case of a non ported iron casting.

We grind a 227 / 241 custom cam with a 110 or 111 LSA and less advance than the thumpr which makes better peak power, great torque and a nice idle.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
9 Posts
MAD PORTER,so if i had the custom cam u grind with the wide LSA but still the 227 241 what kind of power increase would u expect over the 107 LSA? also is vacuum improved? also my c8ve heads are exhaust hump removed, bowls opened up and intake bowls opened a bit along with back cut valves. i also run 1.8 roller rockers to add a bit of lift since the thumpr has low lift

1 - 6 of 6 Posts