460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what I am after. A long lasting and reasonably efficient 400hp 500 tq. Not tough at all and I may even overshoot this slightly. The truck is a beater at this point. 360, 4 speed, Dana 44 front, 9" rear, old and well used. Gearing is 3.50's. Would like to stick with that. The basic use will be parts chaser, fun truck, wife go to home depot for potting soil etc. Stuff a ordinary F-150 would do, just I want a little fun. Engine - I am picking up a unknown condition 93 EFI 460 and a 4x4 E4OD. Engine may be blown up and trans may need work. that being said it has all the harnesses, ECU and accessories for serp belts etc. I have a set of D0VE heads here, maybe can use them. My thinking is, either rebuilt this 460 or acquire a good rebuild candidate. Aiming for say 9.5-10:1 compression for ability to run on ordinary gas. Forged pistons. Min overbore to clean up. Hydraulic roller cam. Headers. Maybe retain the EFI if possible with tweecer or 460 EFI guys stuff and bigger injectors etc. Or carb with trans controller. End goal is something that will be respectable 0-70, have a bit of cam rumble and otherwise be very driveable. Not planning on doing long trips with it but may use it to tow my 71 Mach 1 to the track. (BTW the Mad Porter did the heads for it). Open to suggestions and guidance.

·
Premium Member
9,077 Posts
An F3 headed EFI 460 will easily make 400 reliable hp and 525 Tq in a work engine RPM range and remain SD friendly.

If you want a bit more and run a self learning TB EFI with a carb adapter for the OEM intake that is possible as well.

Feel free to utilize the linked combo as a guide:

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scott you ported the heads in my Mustang in the video. Never dynoed yet but it is scary the amount of power it makes from 3000 rpm and up.

I am going to pull the pan on the 460 I just acquired and see what carnage awaits. I got it along with an E4OD mostly for the E4OD and the serp drive stuff on the 460. I am open to doing the EFI heads and intake and options for EFI both modified OE or aftermarket or carbed, or going with a D0VE head combo manifold and same for it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So can you put all the EFI stuff, heads, intake etc on a 79 shortblock (assume probably need to swap cam as well).

·
Premium Member
9,077 Posts
So can you put all the EFI stuff, heads, intake etc on a 79 shortblock (assume probably need to swap cam as well).
Can you? Yes.
Should you? No. The large dish and deck height will kill static c/r from 8.5 to 1 to less than 8 to 1.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Premium Member
9,077 Posts
Use the dished high CH 93 and up pistons at 0 deck. Deck heads to 92 cc's and keep static c/r 9 to 1 or a tic higher.

SJ
used 2b RHP

;

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK so that would be plan A option. Plan B option would be the conventional route carb based with controller for trans with later aftermarket EFI as an option. Based on me having a 78 or 79 460 (either 80k miles or 180k miles) coming into the collection this week plus the 93 460 of uncertain condition (possible broken rods or other carnage) Plan B would be between 3 sets of heads. D0VE - C's, vs whatever is on the 78/79 or the 93's which may be undamaged. Probably the best of all that that I can see would be 70s block and recip assembly with .30 appropriate pistons and some Mad Ported DOVE heads, hydraulic roller cam and something like a Quickfuel 750/780 vac secondary on a good manifold. Pistons for 9.5-10:1 ish.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the EFI engine is as expected. #8 no longer connected. 1 nut laying in the pan, the other still on there. Makes me wonder if 1 nut came off and it just hammered and beat the bearing and cap to death in seconds. Both bolts are intact other then bent. Crank looks trashed on that journal. Wasn't a lot of oil in it but I think the last owner had drained it. Picking up a local 78/79 engine in a day or 2.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts