460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of building a street/strip 460. I need some advise on valve train and piston selection. I have a set of c8ve heads which I am going to have rebuilt. I have a set a truck rods which I am having reconditioned. I want to run the compression as high as I can and still get by on non-racing gas. The engine is going in a 4000lb. 64 Galaxie. My goal is to get the most torque up to 5500 for the least amount of money (note- I did not say cheaply). I do not want to shave corners on quality, but I do not want to spend money just to impress "the boys".
My main questions right now are:
1. what piston will give 10-11 c.r. and stand up to street and strip use.
2. How do you set up the valve train components so you get the correct geometry without making a bunch or trail and error mistakes with valve spring height, pushrod length and rocker arm travel? In looking at valve sizes I see that even the LENGTH of them is not the same for all 460 applications.
Thanks, This forum is great.

Score 1 2 3 4 5 (5=Excellent) Edit Message Delete Message Lock Thread Respond to this message

Author Reply
RJP
(no login)
198.81.17.39 A few suggestions
No score for this post November 30 2001, 7:07 PM

Try the TRW/Speed Pro piston # L2404F. Its cheaper than a hypereutectic and stronger. With a 72cc head, zero deck and a .041 gasket you'll get about 10 to 1 compresson. As heads go, use the C8s you have, do the usual port work in the exhaust and if your budget allows get the SS 2.19" intake valves and the 1.74" exhaust. Hard seat the exhaust for unleaded gas too. Mill the rocker stud pedastal [sp?] .250" and use BBC studs. Don't forget guide plates and hardened pushrods. You might get away with a std. length pushrod for a early engine as you will have decked the block to 10.300" The only sure fire way to get correct rocker geometry is to use an adjustable pushrod to establish exact length. Rockers are your call, for street engines I use the stock stamped steel rocker and the steel fulcrum. For harder use and higher rpm [above 5500] then its time to step up and get a set of forged aluminum roller rockers. Don't bother with the cast aluminum rockers. See my post about rod prep.

Score 1 2 3 4 5 (5=Excellent) Edit Message Delete Message Lock Thread Respond to this message

NDSP
(no login)
152.163.213.206 cam ideas
No score for this post November 30 2001, 9:32 PM

well if you want to give any credence to the Dyno2000 program the crane hydraulic roller cams give great torque numbers and a big fat broad torque curve. all below 5500rpm. the middle cam of the three they offer gives the best results on the Dyno2000 with ported stock heads, Dual plane intake, 10.1 , and a 850 carb. Part number HR-216-325-2s-12.

TimK
(no login)
65.103.4.22 Desktop dyno for Macintosh
No score for this post December 3 2001, 8:18 AM

Thanks for the info. What dyno program are you using and will it work on Macintosh? Thanks for the cam info, but the roller set up is a little too much money for now. If you have the time, how do the comp cams Extreme energy 4X4 numbers look for torque up to 5500 or the ford racing cams?

NDSP
(no login)
12.148.75.211 Its the Mr Gasket Dyno2000 and Drag2000, don't know if they are Mac enabled.
No score for this post December 3 2001, 2:09 PM

I'll play with some cams. It really needs some good head flow numbers (by good I mean accurate) to give a reliable estimate.

TimK
(no login)
65.103.6.49 c8ve proted and polished head flow numbers?
No score for this post December 3 2001, 6:15 PM

The heads are c8ve and I am having them fully ported and polished. I do not know what the flow numbers are but that seems to be a pretty standard 385 head and I have seen it stated that the flow numbers are about the same a unported edelbrocks. (or was that cj heads?) Anyone out there have real data numbers for ported DOVE heads? Thanks TimK

TimK
(no login)
65.103.4.22 Thanks RJP
No score for this post December 3 2001, 8:13 AM

Been having trouble responding, but just wanted to thank you for the advise. I have found the pistons in my catalogues and the price is good. The valve sizes are a definite will do.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts