460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site, looking forward to opinions and welcome them.
not new to performance engines, but I will be honest, i would fall under the assembler cat. my plan is to change this to a builder.
my planned shortblock.

Bored to clean up. Plan is for Wiesco flat tops with Valve notches
Rods. Open here, plan is full prepped truck rods/W correct bolts.
Crank stock cast 3.85 ford piece.
Rotating assembly fully balanced.
Pistons to be zero deck, amount of cut to be determined during mock up.
this is what I have finalized to date.
Car this will be installed in 1972 Torino GT
Weight........ more than 2 piano's
Convertor. Depends on cam choice
Gears 3.55 or 3.73. Not sure yet.
Now here is where I am struggling.
The final desired HP. 500-550. 550 being the absolute top
Have had one chat with Scott over some options.
D0VE heads. Up here, they want a fortune for bare castings.
My current shortblock is being planned on D3VE heads decked .030 to give me my desired comp ratio of 10.5:1. Head gasket will knock that down a bit.
Cam. Undecided. Car will be street/Strip prob 60/40 usage. Most likely staying hyd, thinking of hyd roller.
Intake. Leaning toward Performer rpm. Final choice based on cam ect...
My struggle is the heads. I can get desired comp out of d3. willing to do porting using Mad porters directions.Pretty sure I can get desired results.
Please chime in. I am open to input and good discussion. Dont mind spending funds where needed, but I am trying to keep the build reasonable.
Thanks in advance.
Derrick

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
30 Posts
Have you considered a set of TF heads? Ill prolly get flamed, but wouldn't have to do all that work on a set of older heads to get less than you can get off the shelf if you just lap em when you get em fresh from TF? And yeh a lot of em here can make a really good cam recommendations, there is a thread called "Horsepower Chart" if you do a search that will really help you out as well. .. Cheers!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
New to the site, looking forward to opinions and welcome them.
not new to performance engines, but I will be honest, i would fall under the assembler cat. my plan is to change this to a builder.
my planned shortblock.

Bored to clean up. Plan is for Wiesco flat tops with Valve notches
Rods. Open here, plan is full prepped truck rods/W correct bolts.
Crank stock cast 3.85 ford piece.
Rotating assembly fully balanced.
Pistons to be zero deck, amount of cut to be determined during mock up.
this is what I have finalized to date.
Car this will be installed in 1972 Torino GT
Weight........ more than 2 piano's
Convertor. Depends on cam choice
Gears 3.55 or 3.73. Not sure yet.
Now here is where I am struggling.
The final desired HP. 500-550. 550 being the absolute top
Have had one chat with Scott over some options.
D0VE heads. Up here, they want a fortune for bare castings.
My current shortblock is being planned on D3VE heads decked .030 to give me my desired comp ratio of 10.5:1. Head gasket will knock that down a bit.
Cam. Undecided. Car will be street/Strip prob 60/40 usage. Most likely staying hyd, thinking of hyd roller.
Intake. Leaning toward Performer rpm. Final choice based on cam ect...
My struggle is the heads. I can get desired comp out of d3. willing to do porting using Mad porters directions.Pretty sure I can get desired results.
Please chime in. I am open to input and good discussion. Dont mind spending funds where needed, but I am trying to keep the build reasonable.
Thanks in advance.
Derrick
You are going to be hard pressed to make 500+ HP using stock stroke and home ported iron heads with stock valve sizes. 400-425 is more realistic with reasonable cam duration, enough vacuum to run power brakes and have good street manners. Aftermarket aluminum heads can make it a whole lot easier to get to the 500+ mark and maintain "streetability".

Reactions: Werecow

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear you on the heads. Was hoping to be able to make iron heads perform to my expectations. Will have to look further into heads department before moving on with the build.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Can it be installed in a 72 Gran Torino? Ford had an option to do it. Good luck finding one, but they did do it. So yeah, might even be able to find factory motor mounts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can it be installed in a 72 Gran Torino? Ford had an option to do it. Good luck finding one, but they did do it. So yeah, might even be able to find factory motor mounts.
Sitting in the shop. The original engine was a 351c but current 460 fits in nice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you're not really attached to the 351C or aren't gnna build it for a spare or anything, you could move it for fundage that'll help along towards getting a set of Trick Flows or Eddy heads? I know 351C's aren't growing in trees like they used to...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another benefit of the aluminum heads is they are less prone to detonation than steel.
Yes. That is a major benefit of the alum. Can sometimes get away with a full point vs steel.
Will check with some of the vendors on the site regarding alum heads. Might be the way to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So after a good discussion with Scott, my goals are the same for power, but the short block and cyl head idea has changed.
Will be getting my top end and bottom end components from Scott, and with the cam choice my hp goals will be met or surpassed.
Once finalized, I will post up the pkg and keep updates on the build.
So alum heads are in the pkg, looking forward to next spring, car is going to haul.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sweeeet!! I'mma be following your build pretty closely, as my goals are pretty much in line with what you're going for with one exception.. I'm dropping mine in a 90LX Mustang!! Hope all goes well and watching this one fer sure!!

·
Premium Member
9,123 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Plan is coming together. Should be ordering bottom end stuff from Scott next monthish. Then comes rough block work so I can do my mockup, then the build will start.
Will be posting pics and updates as things progress, can’t thank Scott enough for his input and direction.

·
Registered
138 Posts
if cost is a issue get a set of the pro comps your going to port them anyway just dump the valve train and put comp cams stuff in them i am running them on a 871 blown 545 and they run great and they were around bare set 850.00 built set 1000.00 regardless of the bad rep they get i been running then for 2 year and zero issues

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Getting a solid price on heads from Scott J. I have no bones that the pro comp can make a solid performing head though. Know a few guys running them up here on their mopars.
Sweet looking ride. Where did you get headlights from.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts