460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short i bought a Fox Body with a 460 in it already. the guy i bought it from knew nothing about it .
I want to put some aluminum heads on it but can find out what block this is . I read that the numbers are on the back passenger side but being in the car i cant seem to find it as its really tight in there.

When i order heads will this be inportant ? if i need to know is there any tell tales of what block i have ? i did a compression test and at 120 +/- PSI

1. Intended use - Street - want more power and lose some wieght

2. Vehicle info (weight/gearing/trans) - 81 Mustang - 3100 pnds stock -C 6 with a shift kit -

3. Fuel desired to use ( racing gas/av gas/E-85/methonal/pumpgas(include octane available)) - running 94 octane

4. Parts you already have - has a decent 750 Carb on it - headers - MSD box

5. Proposed Budget - $5000

6. Location this may help to find a good machine shop - Okanagan British columbia Canada

open to ideas and suggestions . I had thoughts of a blower but i think a solid build with 450+ naturally asparated and reduced front end wieght will be better .
I have access to good mechanics but they are Chevy/Dodge guys so they are no help until the install lol

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
It sounds like you have a mystery engine and the PO can't or doesn't want to help you.

Without knowing any details about engine internals how will you know what compression ratio you have or will have with new heads?

So, I would think you would at least want to know current head chamber size, current valve sizes, cam lift and piston specs (dish, valve notch size and placement) to be able to figure out where you are for compression.

If you aren't familiar with BBF's then it would probably be a good idea to reach out to one of the forum vendors to source your heads as they will be able to help you select based on your specific combination.

If it were up to me I'd get hold of Scotty and have him set me up with heads and custom ground cam. That way you would know the heads are properly set up for the cam, and the cam would be ground for your specific combo.

Plus, he's not to far from you in WA.

Good luck!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Find block casting number, post is here. Better pics of heads. Pull a valve cover and see what is under it, type of rockers. Put a $20 USB bore scope in one hole and post pic of piston top. Then call Scotty at PPAM.

Reactions: Brenford

·
Registered
378 Posts
Look for head number on rail near valve cover, that would be a good place to start.

Reactions: Brenford

·
Registered
155 Posts
Does the engine currently run and if yes how well?

If it were mine and I had an unknown engine I would at the very least:

1) Pull both heads. Get a visual on the pistons and cylinder condition and better access to casting numbers on the heads and block. This will let you know what you are starting with.
2) Pull the oil pan. Yes, I know its tough on a 460 Foxbody but you should really pull a couple main and rod caps to check the crank and bearings.

If all checks out you can call Scotty and have him get you the appropriate heads, intake, cam and recurved distributor for your intended purpose.

It would truly suck to put a ton of money into the top end just to have a rod come busting out the block 100 miles later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it runs good . the guy said there was some porting done on the heads (who knows though) and has a old torqer intake on it . compression is the same in all the holes i could reach easily 120 psi +/- .

once i get some block numbers ill get a hold of Scotty for sure and order some parts . ill look at dropping the oli pan while doing the K maember; if i cant then ill just take the chance of me blowing it up in 100km lol

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
214 Posts
Very nice install!! Cool to see they kept the brake booster! I'm interested in if you've got roller rockers under those valve covers and how hard is it to get to that no8 spark plug and wire?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No roller rockers; just stock looking stuff . number 8 looks do able but havent pull that side yet . waiting to see if ill get new heads on this year or next.

yes the power steering and power brakes are nice . still lots of small things to work out and tighten . previous owner bought it as a basket case assembled over the winter and sold to me .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts