460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Potentially looking to change my distributor and was looking for opinions on the choices out there. I have an 88 F250 with the module mounted on the housing itself, not the remote mount. Any solid brands for daily driving? Any brands to stay away from? Money isn't to much of a concern, I want reliable performance. It's my weekend cruiser and i don't want to be left on the roadside. Had some odd issues with ignition recently and have them mostly resolved but i know the pickup sensor inside is 10 plus years old, got a Motorcraft module and swapped it a few weeks back.

·
Premium Member
8,908 Posts
Are you getting a PIP code? If so replacing the hall effect pick up will solve it.

The distributor mounted TFI was only used a couple of years as the module would get too hot and fail hence the remote mount.

Motorcraft does not offer a TFI mounted reman distributor but here is an alternate.

Not much aftermarket support for this set up.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you getting a PIP code? If so replacing the hall effect pick up will solve it.

The distributor mounted TFI was only used a couple of years as the module would get too hot and fail hence the remote mount.

Motorcraft does not offer a TFI mounted reman distributor but here is an alternate.

Not much aftermarket support for this set up.

SJ
used 2b RHP

I'll be driving at any temp, any speed, and the ignition will cut off. No stuttering like loss of fuel pressure, its a clean cut off. If i move the accelerator pedal it will cut back on and rev and continue going 95% of the time. I have a new TPS to throw on it tonight just for fun. Since moving the pedal usually resumes combustion it wouldn't hurt to rule that out. The truck runs perfect otherwise. Some days it won't even do it. I already have new power and ground to the battery, new coolant temp sensor, mine was cracked, and a new MSD ignition coil. I never get a CEL so haven't pulled anything, i do have a scanner to do so.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be driving at any temp, any speed, and the ignition will cut off. No stuttering like loss of fuel pressure, its a clean cut off. If i move the accelerator pedal it will cut back on and rev and continue going 95% of the time. I have a new TPS to throw on it tonight just for fun. Since moving the pedal usually resumes combustion it wouldn't hurt to rule that out. The truck runs perfect otherwise. Some days it won't even do it. I already have new power and ground to the battery, new coolant temp sensor, mine was cracked, and a new MSD ignition coil. I never get a CEL so haven't pulled anything, i do have a scanner to do so.
I did forget to mention that about 2 weeks ago i was driving and accelerated maybe at 60-70% throttle and once the tach read above 2500 RPM it started bouncing around rapidly and continued to be erratic. I did not have any noticeable power loss, below 2500rpm it did not happen. To my knowledge the tach signal would have to come from there, please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
8,908 Posts
Does your CEL light up in run before starting the vehicle?

Regardless I would run a KOEO and KOER self test.

Plug wires / Coil wire and or a failing hall effect pick up can be a culprit here.

Checking all connections when running or a wiggle test might be in order here.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes all lights come on and off during the test when I turn the key. Plugs are new, wires were done not too long before I got the truck from my brother, I have done a wiggle test at a friends shop in recent months, I do know the pick up is at least 10 years old, if it’s easy enough to replace I won’t buy a distributor and just try that but I don’t know what that entails.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The throttle position sensor did the trick. Drove it every day thus far and the issue has not arose where as it would do it everytime.I did have a stall while coasting however, not sure what may have caused that but it was a different scenario from what i had, maybe put in a new 02 sensor to round out all of the sensors?

·
Registered
3 Posts
How can I find out what year model my 460 engine is I hear that call ford dealership that the only way I can find out

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't got a clue unfortunately, i just know mine is an 88 cause it's still in the truck! Some other members would likely be able to help, you'll need to find some casting numbers i'm sure, maybe google it for some help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts