460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 460 runs and doesn't get use much but from what I've been told is has zero problems. This engine is currently in a truck which will be my first truck and its going to drink to much gas and empty my too pockets fast. Does anyone want it? Let me know, were in NH. I will try to get some photos soon.

What would a smaller engine replacement be that's has the same bellhousing? Im more of a Chevy person so any help would be great.
Thanks, Edward

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
265 Posts
Same bellhousing?? That's got you limited to a 351M or a 400 Ford. If you can find a small block bellhousing that will bolt up to your tranny that will allow you to run a 300 6 cyl or a 302-351 Windsor V8. Finding said bellhousing will depend on what model and type of drivetrain your truck currently has.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same bellhousing?? That's got you limited to a 351M or a 400 Ford. If you can find a small block bellhousing that will bolt up to your tranny that will allow you to run a 300 6 cyl or a 302-351 Windsor V8. Finding said bellhousing will depend on what model and type of drivetrain your truck currently has.
Thanks, we keep a look out for those engines. I know there is also a 351 C, whats the difference?

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
265 Posts
351C or the 351 Cleveland was made in the late 60's and early 70's and has the same bell housing pattern as a small block (302 or 351 Windsor) but has the canted valve heads like a 351M/400 or a 429/460. They, like the Boss 302 were designed to be high revvers for the street and the track. You can still find em today from time to time, but be prepared to pay for em, as they are getting somewhat harder and harder to find. Here's a short primer on some of the differences between the 351C and the 351M/400.

Cheers and good luck with your truck!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
351C or the 351 Cleveland was made in the late 60's and early 70's and has the same bell housing pattern as a small block (302 or 351 Windsor) but has the canted valve heads like a 351M/400 or a 429/460. They, like the Boss 302 were designed to be high revvers for the street and the track. You can still find em today from time to time, but be prepared to pay for em, as they are getting somewhat harder and harder to find. Here's a short primer on some of the differences between the 351C and the 351M/400.

Cheers and good luck with your truck!!

Thanks

·
Registered
319 Posts
We have a 460 runs and doesn't get use much but from what I've been told is has zero problems. This engine is currently in a truck which will be my first truck and its going to drink to much gas and empty my too pockets fast. Does anyone want it? Let me know, were in NH. I will try to get some photos soon.

What would a smaller engine replacement be that's has the same bellhousing? Im more of a Chevy person so any help would be great.
Thanks, Edward
A smaller displacement engine doesn’t mean that it will use less fuel, ask anyone that had had an 80’s or 90’s F250 with a 5.8 (351 Windsor)!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bell, and torq or clutch?
maybe get a different truck, ez,er
IDK, all I have for money is a couple grand and dont want to spend it when we have a truck and was going to buy and 05 Chevy and got in the back and jumped and the bed started to touch the back of the cab and then looked at the frame and it was shot.
Im more a Chevy person so I would rather buy a truck but dont want to spend much now

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Let's start at the beginning, and I'm not going to say that I have the answers for you.

What year is the truck in question?
Is it an F150, F250, F350?
Is it a 2wd or 4wd?
Is it lifted?

All this is going to come into play. If you've got a 1978 F250 4wd rolling on 40" tires, putting a smaller engine in is going to most assuredly kill the fuel mileage. Likewise, if you've got a newer F250/350 with a fuel injected engine, swapping to something smaller and fuel injected is probably going to kill your budget by the time you're done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let's start at the beginning, and I'm not going to say that I have the answers for you.

What year is the truck in question?
Is it an F150, F250, F350?
Is it a 2wd or 4wd?
Is it lifted?

All this is going to come into play. If you've got a 1978 F250 4wd rolling on 40" tires, putting a smaller engine in is going to most assuredly kill the fuel mileage. Likewise, if you've got a newer F250/350 with a fuel injected engine, swapping to something smaller and fuel injected is probably going to kill your budget by the time you're done.

its an f350 April of 1985, 4wd. Thinking I mite Chevy swap it cuz we have lots of old Chevy engines. I don’t know what should be put in in exchange for the 460 but we are have a friend come over who is going to help with putting it together and give us a price
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Rim Auto part
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive exterior
Font Rectangle Commemorative plaque History Number
Font Gas Rectangle Wood Paper

·
Registered
21 Posts
IMO you need to give the 460 a chance .
Some desmogging
Straight up timing chain
Recurved distributor
Headers and free flowing exhaust

I believe you could pick up fuel mileage and power.
That would be simple and cheap, compared to switching to a small block or the other brand I won’t mention on here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IMO you need to give the 460 a chance .
Some desmogging
Straight up timing chain
Recurved distributor
Headers and free flowing exhaust

I believe you could pick up fuel mileage and power.
That would be simple and cheap, compared to switching to a small block or the other brand I won’t mention on here.
Okay, this is my first truck tho. I’ve watched a few vids for someone rebuilding one for 3k or 1500

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
If it runs good, why would you rebuild it? If you do what was mentioned and keep your foot out of it, you can probably get 13-14 mpg. A small block anything in a 1 ton pickup is not going to get any better fuel mileage than that. The reason being that you have to give it more throttle to get it moving and keep it moving....and with that, I'm going to check out of this thread. I feel like it isn't going to go anywhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If it runs good, why would you rebuild it? If you do what was mentioned and keep your foot out of it, you can probably get 13-14 mpg. A small block anything in a 1 ton pickup is not going to get any better fuel mileage than that. The reason being that you have to give it more throttle to get it moving and keep it moving....and with that, I'm going to check out of this thread. I feel like it isn't going to go anywhere.
Thanks, it mite need later on new pan and valve cover gaskets but thats all. I agree with you, this thread isn't going any where

·
Administrator
5,027 Posts
What power could i put in that will fit the bellhousing and not use much gas?
There isn't one. They will all drink gas. It's just the nature of that type of truck. The expense of swapping the engine to save gas in the long run is a losing proposition. Just drive the 460 truck or sell it and get a different car. An engine swap for mileage gains isn't going to be worth the expense.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts