460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m hoping someone on the site can help me. We have a 1978 carlson Glaston jet boat with a 460 big block. We are having major issues getting it started, it wants to turn over but then stops and begins clicking. We have replaced both battery cables and the battery. Any thoughts on what might be the problem or what type of mechanic we need to locate in order to resolve the issue. Are we looking for a car mechanic who specializes large engines or a boat mechanic? Thank you

·
Registered
146 Posts
Does the starter activate when you bypass the solenoid?

As you have already checked the battery and cables, ruling out a failed solenoid or starter would be an easy check. It might also determine the mechanic you need if it is in a bad location and needs to be changed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the starter activate when you bypass the solenoid?

As you have already checked the battery and cables, ruling out a failed solenoid or starter would be an easy check. It might also determine the mechanic you need if it is in a bad location and needs to be changed.
Thank you so much for responding....a neighbor had a friend over and was talking to my husband about the issue. Used an amp meter on a couple of spots and believes the cables he installed to be incorrect size to push the full power necessary to start. Fingers crossed. Going to try that first then will try your suggestion. Again thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does it use a top mount reverse rotation starter? If so, those are notorious for hard start issues and likely needs rebuilt. If you’re running the tradition low mount starter, look at swapping over to one of the smaller starters from the later model trucks. They’re cheap and have much more grunt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts