460 Ford Forum banner

41 - 60 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Got the motor in the car today! Dropped right in like it was meant to be there. Looked like no way hanging in there air but slid right in, guess we got lucky. Moving right along!!! :D

·
Registered
928 Posts
Cool. That looks like its going to be a fun car when its running.

Not to nitpick but, that lower core support sure looks rough! Hopefully you plan to replace it or straighten it.

·
Registered
666 Posts
That looks good BIG Z.
Very nice keep us posted and post a sound clip once she up and running

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Made some more progress today. Took a couple flicks along the way----

You build your own shortblock? Cant recall what size you going, 532?
If stroker, what kit you useing. Im on the fence whether to build my own. Basically what I save is 500 bucks by not having someone build it for me.

Hmmmmm, 500 is cheap insurance.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Made some more progress today. Took a couple flicks along the way----

You build your own shortblock? Cant recall what size you going, 532?
If stroker, what kit you useing. Im on the fence whether to build my own. Basically what I save is 500 bucks by not having someone build it for me.

Hmmmmm, 500 is cheap insurance.
I had the guy at the machine shop assemble the short block for me. He was into my build so he only charged me a few dollars ($50 I think) extra. Insurance indeed I trust him more than myself- leave it to the pros, better to spend it now than break it down later I figured. And no stroker on this build just .30 over with dome top pistons stock crank and worked truck rods.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
C6 Transmission in car. factory- double hump cross member. broke the welds and slid all the way to the back, no other modifications were needed. Like it was meant to be there!

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Man, I am loving this build.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Opened up the 9 inch rear that came in car to find it had 28 spline axles and an open differential....

So I cleaned it up and sold it. Picked up a built 8.8 with 4:30 gear spool and 35 spline axles, Adj. UPR uppers, and southsides- all for same $ as I got for 9 in... Score! Old school setup with southsides welded in place- drop mount style.

So this weekend we are going to put in the new rear end and anti roll bar as well as weld up and reinforce torque boxes and mounting points and tie cage in. I'll try to get a bunch of progress pics and put them up here after. If all goes well she'll be back on the ground this weekend- can't wait to see how the car sits!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Mocked everything up with the new rear and got the car on the ground for the first time in a while! Making a few adjustments and welding everything up this weekend...progress.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Well, my buddy taught me how to mig weld today. I'd post pics off the torque box I did but prefer to wait and post pics of the next one lol. He also talked me into mini-tubbing the car so I guess I will be learning more...pics later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is a fantastic build! I would have already shattered that 5500.00 limit by now and I know LOTS of folks locally that would pitch in. Even at side money it would be very difficult for me to stay within the confines of this budget. Now if I could just find a coupe........................ lol
Great work on this so far man,
Joe

·
Registered
68 Posts
How much clearance can you gain without moving that shock mount? Is that what you're doing? I'm looking for a little more room without going coil over.. I know wolf makes a kit to move the spring over a little, is that what you're using?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
How much clearance can you gain without moving that shock mount? Is that what you're doing? I'm looking for a little more room without going coil over.. I know wolf makes a kit to move the spring over a little, is that what you're using?
From what I've found you can fit a 275/60/15 drag radial without moving mount and no frame notch if you use a 8 inch wheel with 5.5 bs. I was originally going that route but once I got in there I decided if I was doing it just to do it all the way and not have to do it later.

Here are some ideas of different routes:
http://www.wolferacecraft.com/install/must/musminitub.aspx

I wanted to be able to get the back of the car real low and tuck the tires to get a good instant center. I will be running a coil over set-up (even though it's a little out of the budget) and I plan to keep the stock style tank-gonna be tight!

This is the first time I have done any fab work or even picked up a welder. It's a pretty easy job once you get moving.

Going to be running a stock length rear end with 15x10 wheel w/ 7.5 bs and 28x10.5 slick. not crazy big but nice and tucked.

41 - 60 of 275 Posts