460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I have the chance to get a 460 and c4 transmission and was hoping to get some help on what I need to make this work like what motor mounts I need or do I need to make some and any other changes needed

·
Registered
114 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm hardcore 429/460, but unless the 390 is gone or the block is junk, I'd stick with that. Put a 428, (makes a 410 out of it) crank in it, alum heads and manifold and rebuild the trans, good set of headers and it'll get you down the road in a hurry. My reasoning, it fits and it's there already. Sometimes easier to build on what you have then, start completely over. But if the engine and trans are junk, hell yeah a 460 and C-6 will work nicely. Lots of room under that hood.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Then 460 her. Probably much cheaper. I would look to the 68 T-Bird for motor mounts. That was the first year for the 429/460s in her.

·
Registered
465 Posts
1963 and 1968 Thunderbirds have a totally different engine compartment and suspension in them. Not saying it cant be done, but it will certainly be a challenge squeezing a 429-460 in their.
Personally I'd like to see a swap like that. Don't believe Iv'e ever seen it done.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
This is a link ( see below ) to a fakebook group for Lincolns from 1961 to 69, there are members who have done this swap, it would be another source for information. This site and the "other" one is is the best I've found for information on the 385 series engine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
crites makes mounts for the 460 in the early full size but, they have drawbacks there engine mount puts the motor about 1.5 inches higher and about 1.50 inches forward, basically if you have the tiny 5/8 or 3/4 sway bar your front sump will be about 3/8 away from it, plus you half to set everything in and drill you crossmember for the lower mount bolts, if I was you I would get a set of the thunderbird stuff or full size ltd mounts get a measuring tape, welder, and start fabbing up a set but, make sure you set the heads on and hang headers while doing the fabrication, like I said I used the crites and like to never found headers summit ,jegs ,Sanderson ,shorty's, all didn't fit, I ended up going with FPA and, in some places there a 1/8 away they don't hit but its damn close.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts