460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I saw a video on YouTube the other day, and in the comments section the owner said that he fit the engine without any sheetmetal modification. If his car had originally came with a 390, I would have assumed that it was possible (since I think the shock towers were different in those cars,) but he said it came with a 289. Does that sound right to you guys? It was hard to tell from the video, but I think he was being honest (and it looked tight as hell.. no chance of plug replacement with the engine in the car :(.) What do you guys think? I know I've asked a similar question before, but I couldn't remember if you guys said it was possible to do this. TIA.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The shock towers are the same for big block and small block. Although I haven't done the 385 swap I understand it does not require shock tower mods, and spark plug access is about the same as if it had the FE in it. Yes it is tight but not impossible and a little easier if you know about the rubber hose trick, speaking from experence I have 2 FE powered Fairlanes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In the words of Al Pacino "You don't need no stinkin SHOCK TOWERS".Take em out,I promise you"ll never have any bloody nuckles changing plugs again.My Prostreet car has no shock towers,and rack & pinion steering.Really makes it nice. Michael

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
I've seen one with a 460 installed and no shock tower mods. Where it tends to get really close is in the front of the engine. Using an old 429 water pump which is shorter is a big help.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Does not require shock tower modifications...... although I would recommend it.
Dave
:eek:
Agree, my shock towers are notched, spark plug changes are a snap, as are header install. My primary tubes are individual tubes and easy to install. It may also help with cooling to allow a bit more air around the engine.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the words of Al Pacino "You don't need no stinkin SHOCK TOWERS".Take em out,I promise you"ll never have any bloody nuckles changing plugs again.My Prostreet car has no shock towers,and rack & pinion steering.Really makes it nice. Michael
I'd like to do the Heidts swap, but something tells me I wouldn't have any money left for the 460 after I save up the dough for that setup ($2500.)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The shock towers are the same for big block and small block. Although I haven't done the 385 swap I understand it does not require shock tower mods, and spark plug access is about the same as if it had the FE in it. Yes it is tight but not impossible and a little easier if you know about the rubber hose trick, speaking from experence I have 2 FE powered Fairlanes.
Care to share that trick? Or is it a closely guarded secret.. :p

·
Registered
526 Posts
I used a flex head 3/8 ratchet on my 67 mustang with 390, the plugs weren't fun but not that bad. With notched towers and a 460, they're a piece of cake.

The rubber hose trick is to put a gas line sized hose on the end of the sparkplug to help you screw the spark plug into the head.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Care to share that trick? Or is it a closely guarded secret.. :p
Yeah, it's a closely guarded secret, so secret only FE powered Fairlane, Mustang, Cougar and a few select Falcon owners know about it along with the super secret handshake....but I'll share it with ya..... Use a piece of 3/8" fuel line about a foot long with the sparkplug stuck into the hose end and use it to thread the plug into the sparkplug hole, turn until it stops, pull hose off and tighten with a socket. Now you are a member of a very elite and special group of Ford freaks...Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
17 Posts
460 in a 66,67 fairlane

If you use a crites type header you don't have to do any cutting, but your limited to that
small tube size and limited to a certain performance level.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you use a crites type header you don't have to do any cutting, but your limited to that
small tube size and limited to a certain performance level.
Well I wouldn't be doing anything extreme if I did do the swap, since that by itself would probably use up all of my "spare" cash. It would probably just be some minor bolt ons thrown onto a rebuilt engine.

·
Registered
168 Posts
OK here is my 2cents. I had a 69 SCJ in 1970 & the first time I changed the plugs, it took all day because of the smog tubing that ran between the shock tower & the valve cover. I didn't have the SnapOn ball spark plug socket (until I talked to Hubert Platt of the ford drag team), so I had to pull the valve covers to get the plumbing out of the way,etc. etc. & I have had the pleasure to have a 460 in that same car & I can tell you it's easier to change plugs in the FE than in the 385, that is without shock tower mods. As a mater of fact there is one plug that had to have a shortened plug socket w/ 3/4" hex head & combination wrench to do it. I will work the shock towers this time (hopefully within the next few months.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a 429 scj in my 66 fairlane with a top loader 4 speed from a torino cobra and used everthing only had to shorten the z bar shaft 3/4 inch and had mad dog racing who made headers for John vermeirs when he was putting them in fairlanes way back! he still had the jig for 1" 7/8 headers ,long tube! I agree with out your shock towers notched it would be a pain,large assortment of snapon tools makes it alot easier for me.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since we are on the subject on 460 Fairlanes..

What are you swappers using for throttle linkage, etc.? If I end up doing this I plan on using the Crites long tubes as well as their mounting kit (whatever that includes.) But what about the other stuff, like radiator hoses, etc.? If anyone could enlighten me on everything I will need (other than the engine and trans :p,) that would be great. I'm assuming I will probably need a different driveshaft for the the C4 since I have an AOD in there now, but I'm not sure about the other stuff. TIA.

·
Registered
526 Posts
What are you swappers using for throttle linkage, etc.? If I end up doing this I plan on using the Crites long tubes as well as their mounting kit (whatever that includes.) But what about the other stuff, like radiator hoses, etc.? If anyone could enlighten me on everything I will need (other than the engine and trans :p,) that would be great. I'm assuming I will probably need a different driveshaft for the the C4 since I have an AOD in there now, but I'm not sure about the other stuff. TIA.
I use a 69 mustang throttle linkage as it is cable and the stock rod linkage would be a pain, C6 kickdown I use a Lokar, as the stock rod has clearance issues as well, I use a stock FE radiator with stock FE lower hose and a non stock upper hose. Not a Fairlane I know, but some stuff applies on both.

·
Registered
271 Posts
460 in a 66 Fairlane

used the Crites Motor Mounts and headers I also used tall Ford Motorsports valve covers to clear Roller rockers only shock tower mod was a hammer ding way down low to clear a header tube also had to notch tall valvecover to clear master cylinder

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
What are you swappers using for throttle linkage, etc.? If I end up doing this I plan on using the Crites long tubes as well as their mounting kit (whatever that includes.) But what about the other stuff, like radiator hoses, etc.? If anyone could enlighten me on everything I will need (other than the engine and trans ,) that would be great. I'm assuming I will probably need a different driveshaft for the the C4 since I have an AOD in there now, but I'm not sure about the other stuff. TIA.

Crits says to just move stock linkage up 3/4 in that is what I did works fine

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What are you swappers using for throttle linkage, etc.? If I end up doing this I plan on using the Crites long tubes as well as their mounting kit (whatever that includes.) But what about the other stuff, like radiator hoses, etc.? If anyone could enlighten me on everything I will need (other than the engine and trans ,) that would be great. I'm assuming I will probably need a different driveshaft for the the C4 since I have an AOD in there now, but I'm not sure about the other stuff. TIA.

Crits says to just move stock linkage up 3/4 in that is what I did works fine
Thanks :) Just trying to cover as many things as I can before I go through with this (though it's going to take me 6-7 months to save up the $4500 I'm going to need for the engine and trans.)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts