460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum , Hi to everyone , would appreciate some informed info on pros and cons of getting a 460 into a 71 mustang 351 4v cleveland , I am hoping it would be a pretty straightforward slot in job , anything I need to be aware of? , I am in the UK and can locate a 460 quite cheaply , the correct 429's are expensive , the car is running a c6 with a 9 inch rear , basically want the easiest and most economical way of gaining some more cubes.
thx in advance Nige

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Motor mounts can be had from Crites (solid) or Mustangs Unlimited (rubber).

Headers from Hooker, FPA or Crites.

Need C6 with big block bell housing. (yours won"t work).

I believe the transmission mount will work but not 100% sure.

I was able to make my stock 3 row radiator, fan and shroud work with a little massaging. You'll have to mock up and measure for fan spacer.

Pulleys and brackets can be a chore unless you go March.

71-73's were designed for big block. It really is about as easy as it gets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx Tommy , so if I get correct c6 ,will there be any issues with prop length , does anyone do a kit with motor and trans mount , Cheers Nige

·
Registered
408 Posts
If by prop you mean drive shaft I believe you will be able to reuse yours without modification if you use stock style engine mounts. I reused my FMX trans and I believe the FMX and C6 are the same overall length. I know the yokes are the same. Crites mounts are in kit form if you can live with solid mounts. Other wise you have to piece meal. MPG maybe has a kit?

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I did this swap on a '73 Grande a couple of years ago and am currently looking at doing it with my '73 Mach I (545).

I found the swap to be pretty easy but I used the engine AND transmission for a 1970 N code Galaxie. I had a local machine shop build the drive shaft for me on the Grande. I plan on ordering a more durable (Aluminum) one for the Mach I.

I did not have any problems acquiring the mounts - - they are available from a number of sources. I did go with heavy duty springs on the front end. Essentially, I look at the '71 429CJ/SCJ when ordering parts - - worked out fine.

BTW, we now have a site dedicated to the 71 - 73 mustangs

www.7173mustangs.com

Get a chance, come on over as we speak your language!

BT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts