460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have been in the process of putting a 1988 (not 100% on the year) 460 into my CJ 7. It was a little rough around the edges so far to get the drivetrain together, but it looks like its going to work out.

I am by no means an expert with stuff like this, but thought it might be a fun swap and almost seemed practical enough since I already had a Ford T-18 in the Jeep.

I was given this motor for free complete with all CA smog, and it was already on an engine stand. I was tired of dealing with the smog game every two years with my Jeep. When I bought it (the Jeep) it had no functioning smog on it and has been a fun one to get past the visual test every year after.

My goal is just really go get the 460 in there and referee'd so I can pass good old California smog without too much trouble. Later down the road if it all works out I am sure I will start playing around with things further.

The steering shaft, is close near the manifold and the power steering pump, but connected and functions...

The brake booster is real close to some solenoids on the motor, but clears as well. if it becomes a problem then it shouldn't be much of an issue to re-locate that.

Jeep is an 1981 CJ7 with the following I have done to it over the years I have had it.

Ford T18 (4spd manual)
Dana 300 with the 4:1 TeraFlex gears.
Dana 30 - Lock right locker - Poison Spider diff cover. - (4.11)
AMC 20 - Full Detroit Locker - Crane diff cover (4.11)
(rotated the pinion angle up a few degrees to give some ground clearance and help line up drivetrain with the lift. )
Poison Spider sliders and corner pannel body armor.
Sping-over (lift) with stock CJ springs.
Pretty substantial Traction Bar
44 high top knuckles / Conv for high steer to raise up as much steering components to help avoid the rocks..
YJ Brake Booster (Huge improvment over CJ one, Locks up the 35"s)
35" BFG MT's
Upgraded Double CV Rear driveshaft.
Upgraded Front Driveshaft

What has been done so far:
Ripped out the AMC 258 (never did me wrong, always ran great)
Sourced a 351/400M bell housing with /clutch fork.

Bought a flywheel, pressure plate and clutch combo from L & L that would make the later model 460 work with the earlier T18. -- I tried to figure out a junkyard combo of parts but didn't make it very far and Time VS Money since I am no machinist I left the head scratching there with someone who had gone through the process. So I went with the L & L guys. (Item number: 04385S )

Motor mounts are from Speedway Motorsports, just a weld in 429/460. (Item number: 7204503 ) I could have made them myself, but again time vs money they had a nice weld in setup.

I decided to bash a bit of the firewall in on the driver side. Near the brake booster and tunnel, not too much maybe a half inch to 1inch. It was so close against the firewall for the valve covers. The concern was to make sure there was enough room to remove the valve covers if need be. So I went a swinging and made the little room.

The motor is sitting in the Jeep, attached to the Transmission and Transfercase, all bolted up and looks good..

Also have the driveshafts back in, since the driveshafts since the drivetrain is in the same spot as the 258 was I don't need to modify that at all. (so far looking at least.)

Fuel pump and filter are in, still need to run the lines and plumb it all in.

ECU is in through the firewall in a similar place where a Jeep of that year would have an ECU placed. (Behind the glovebox)

Still alot of work to be done, but when I got the drivetrain together and all mated up yesterday it gave me some hope haha.

Todo list currently (subject to change as always):

Modify the clutch linkage bracket to bolt to the bell housing.
R & R any aging hoses on the block that would be otherwise hard to reach when its all said and done.
Test fit and modify inner fender wells as needed. (needs a bit of work around the power steering pump for sure.)
Bolt on the front grill and find radiator hoses that will work
Work on the heater core lines and mate those to the Jeep heater core
Find the proper wire on the ECU Relay and Fuel Pump Relay to heat up with the Jeep Key Ignition.
Put some tuneup parts on it to give it a fighting chance at least.. Double check and make sure the electric fans are wired up.
Fire it off and make sure it runs.
Make sure it goes forward and stops..
Drive it down to the local exhaust shop and have them carefully route a 3" exhaust through and out the back.
Tidy up the leftovers... and hold on tight :D

The pictures are a week or so out dated, as I have put more together in the engine bay then it shows.. but gives a feel for how it seems to fit at least.

If anyone has any recommendations that I should do to the motor, or otherwise. I don't know a whole lot about the engine but I have driven a few trucks with it and it was fun. So this should be a good time when it all works out!

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
i'm wondering if you've thought of the cooling issues.....been doing some searching on that myself, looks like novak has one for up to 650 hp but it's application is for a baby motor. and yes, i like it:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm wondering if you've thought of the cooling issues.....been doing some searching on that myself, looks like novak has one for up to 650 hp but it's application is for a baby motor. and yes, i like it:)
I have thought a bit about the cooling issues I am sure I will run into.. I am planning on getting it all together with the stock Jeep radiator I have (its a few years old) I am going to try and fit the stock, or some kind of mechanical fan. As well as the duel flex-a-lite electric fans I have on the front of the radiator already. I think this will keep up to the task, i'll likely end up with some hood louvers for the engine bay heat, as well as an upgraded radiator. I also managed to keep the additional oil cooler (looks stock) and it should be able to keep that. I might put a mini E-Fan on that as well for when I am on the trail with no/very low air flow.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Very nice :) I'm a bit confused though.. I swear that several people on here have stated that the 460 never came with a serpentine type belt drive, yet yours appears to have one.. :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice :) I'm a bit confused though.. I swear that several people on here have stated that the 460 never came with a serpentine type belt drive, yet yours appears to have one.. :confused:
Hmm I am not an expert, but I am 99.995% sure this motor came out of a 1988 F-250 Pickup. I very much prefer a serpentine system, I had it with my Jeep 258 and now with this new (used) 460.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
its not a true serpentine... its a poly-vee belt... there are 2 of the wide poly-vee belts... if it were a true serpentine, then there would only be one belt running everything... which is what ford didnt do for the 460

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its not a true serpentine... its a poly-vee belt... there are 2 of the wide poly-vee belts... if it were a true serpentine, then there would only be one belt running everything... which is what ford didnt do for the 460
A ha, well then it was my mistake with the terminology... Learn something new every day I suppose. Well then I like these better then standard v belt setup too.

Thanks for clearing that up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts