460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 77 Spectra 18 with a 460BBF, 2 hours on the lake and the engine locked up. Machinist believes the oil pump uncovered and sucked air. Wadded up 1 rod but didn't hurt the block

Doing a very mild rebuild as this is just a cruiser/tube puller. But as my first jetboat hoping I could get some insight especially to a new cam.

Going with
Eagle Cast Steel stock stroke crank
Stock Football rods
D3VE heads
10qt armondo jet pan
Sealed power 134m main bearings, 8-7185CH rod bearings
Durabond FP-30 cam bearings
-And lastly ive seen the summit 3501 cam suggested for jetboats any thoughts on this cam?

Anyway glad to have found this site and heres some photos.

·
Registered
516 Posts
As to camshaft selection, valve events and static compression go hand in hand so as to end up with a dynamic compression that is compatible with the octane rating of the gasoline to be used and many other variables. Therefore, what pistons are going into the engine?

If I was going to go with the stock stroke, I would use a stock 460 crank over an Eagle cast crank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sticking with stock stroke on this one. I can get 93 octane easily in my area so thats what I plan to run. Pistons will most likely will be LF2402 TRW forged units. The cam I mentioned its just one I saw pop up several times over at performanceboats.com. I just know I have to keep the lobe separation around 112-114 to keep reversion issues down.

And finally sorry for posting this in "archives".... didn't realize what i had done till it was too late.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts