460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a couple of pics of my old “barn find Maverick” for anyone interested. Don’t laugh too much, it is my extreme budget build car. I have about $2000 into it now, including the price of the car. Engine is a spare 429 I had sitting around. It is pretty much a stock 1970 4V 429 out of a Lincoln, mild cam and intake. I just finished the headers which were for a 69 big block Camaro, which I reflanged for the Ford heads. I was really surprised at the fit and I can’t beat the price, they were given to me by a Chevy friend. I need to plumb the fuel system, wiring, etc. etc. and plan to paint next spring.

·
Registered
928 Posts
looking good although by the looks of it I would definitely be looking for a remote oil filter setup.

Done right I actually like a maveric better then mustangs although I guess it's the redneck in me that actually really digs the primer sleeper deal you got going.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its almost old enough to take it to some Nostalgia racing events. Everything on it is still close to being time period correct. I don’t think I can resist putting some modern electronics on it though. I don’t think I would want to run a dual point on it. LOL! The original owner raced it from about 1973-1979(?) with a boss 302. When I got the car, the engine was gone, so I installed the Mustang II suspension and the 429. The primer was on it when I bought it. I’m still thinking about painting it black later. I'll post some more pics later.

Thanks for the comments

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
The best part about using a Maverick is the shape of the rear window body lines & how it flows into the rear quarter panel.

Because of this body layout you are able to put a large wheel tub in the car and mount them high off the ground so you have plenty of room to slam the car on the ground....even with a set of 34.5 x 17 x 16's

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Headers look great! Nice job.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I'd like to see more pictures of the engine compartment and the availible room by the trans tunnel. Is the steering shaft hooked up yet? and what did the header fit before you modified them? I wanting to do a mustang II front end to a 66 mustang and put a big block in sometime next winter if all goes well.

Ace

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the comments. Headers are Hooker PN# 2457 for a 67-69 big block Camaro. All tubes except one was just reflanged. I did bring in the #5 cylinder tube inward about ¼ inch just to gain more clearance for the suspension arm before the tube was reflanged. Steering is hooked up with one Flaming River joint to a fox body Mustang steering column. I’ll still need to sink in another 2 grand or so before it can hit the track. I need to do fuel and electrical systems, gauges, driveshaft, new slicks, safety stuff, etc. I post more pics later.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Ditto: that is damn cool.

If I ever get any extra $$ I want to get an early Mavrick and put the 650 HP 409 Windsor I built for the '04 Engine Masters in it with a 200 HP Nos system.

Love that car.

G-Code

1 - 18 of 18 Posts