460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 460 with dove block and a 2y crank.i think the heads may be dove to. engine is going into a 1968 f250 highboy 4x4 with a 4 spd manual. im looking to drive it everyday so I need to now what i can do for a mild build. i was thinking maybe flat top piston rings rv cam porting heads and shorty headers with a 750 4 barrel carb.any info on parts and what to use would be helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey ford315, your engine sounds like my engine, however, I/we had a few surprises and I wonder if your engine does too:
My engine had been stored in the rear of my best friends garage since the mid-1980's when he took it in as a trade for a low mileage 351M he owned and we thought the 460 was a mid-1970's smog 460 because it was pulled from a 1978/79 Bronco.
The only unique external part was the factory Ford aluminum finned valve covers and the 4V intake on the 460, and we received the complete without the intake & 4V carb and never researched it further - not even casting numbers...
January 2019 I pulled the engine out of storage to break it down for inspection. I found a totally original engine with all factory Ford bearings, with Ford Part #'s, on the crank Mains & Journals. The factory standard bore pistons were installed on the non-broached 'CJ' rods with football head rod bolts on the 2Y crank.
The block is a 'D0VE-A' dated late 1969 and it has the "Boss Bulkheads" front & rear as well as the thick Main Webs across the Mains. Cylinder heads are D0VE-C with factory screw-in rocker studs.

So , I was pleasantly surprised to have possession of this engine. I too want to do a mildly upgraded rebuild using all the factory castings. Forged (L2404 maybe?) pistons, roller cam(?), ported heads, dual plane aluminum intake (Weiand Stealth maybe) and such but I'm also open to all the suggestions that other Forum Guru's will offer us as we progress on our quest.

I didn't mean to hijack but thought our engines are on similar paths so I wanted to throw you my story as well.
Good luck with our build and I'll watch closely.
Pete

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have a 1970 460 with dove block and a 2y crank.i think the heads may be dove to. engine is going into a 1968 f250 highboy 4x4 with a 4 spd manual. im looking to drive it everyday so I need to now what i can do for a mild build. i was thinking maybe flat top piston rings rv cam porting heads and shorty headers with a 750 4 barrel carb.any info on parts and what to use would be helpful.
You need to confirm what heads you have. If they are in fact D0VE heads don't use a flat top piston if you want to run on pump gas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts