460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roller, stock block, DOVE heads, eagle rods, stock crank, Lenco 4sp., Milodon deep pan. Oil pressure dropping to 20lbs by 3rd gear. Block has restrictors in the crank saddles now. Still have same prob. Have cook one rod and scrapped one crank. Please help.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not enough oil?

Sounds to me that you are running the pan dry.
Having say 6 or 7 quarts in the pan when stationary doesn't relate to how much is there when the motor is running!
My suggestion is to increase the oil level by a quart maybe 2.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Maybe a 3qt. Accusump unit plumbed in is the necessary fix for your situation...???

It would provide you with extra oil volume when the pressure drops....

Just a thought,
StickBBF :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Like others have stated, it appears you're sucking the pan dry. Increasing the oil level or capacity is a possible solution. However, I would spend some time/effort improving your oil control.

How many rpms are you turning? Do you have a windage tray or crank scraper? Are you running a high volume oil pump? Upon assembling your engine, how well did the oil drainback holes line up?

To begin with, more questions than answers.

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 460, it has a truck rear sump pan and oil pressure drops on a run as well. I have tried higher and lower oil levels, lower seems better. I thought that maybe the oil is being whipped up by the crank. I have an automatic and shift at 6500 rpm and I have a high volume pump, pressure will drop to as low as 20 lbs. on a pass.

·
Premium Member
5,570 Posts
To be safe, start with adding oil. Specifically (and before doing anything), pay close attention to the oil pressure behavior, and then add a couple of quarts and monitor the oil pressure behavior again and watch for any changes in symptoms.

If the problem persists while you feel certain that there is more than enough oil, then try less oil as noted above. Indeed, I had a customer who was experiencing similar oil problems. By watching the oil pressure gage, one would think the oil pump was sucking the pan dry, and he has a 10-quart pan on his engine. Adding more oil didn't eliminate the symptoms, but taking out oil did. Dropping to just 8 quarts in the 10-quart pan seemed to prevent the oil from being drawn up into the windage, thereby leaving a good supply of oil in the bottom of the pan for the pickup. Stranger things have happened...

Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok going to check the drain back holes, and going to add more oil. I'm not the owner, just the one with the ability to be in contact with this Forum. I am member of the www.bigblockdart.com forum. Just found yours today. These forums are great for exchanging info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my 460. The higher the RPM the lower the oil pressure.

I drove the car on the street last summer with no problems but I would love to find out what is causing the problem.

I put the motor together and I am confident I did everything right. However the machine shop removed and replaced the oil galley plugs. I'm thinking they put the wrong plug in the right holes.

I'm not sure that would cause this problem but that's the only thing I can think of. If you find the cause, please let us know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts