460 Ford Forum banner

460 oiling

4K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  chilly 
#1 ·
I have a mildly built 460 in a 64 FAIRLANE.I installed a HV oil pump.If i just putt around town every thing is OK,but when i throtle it oil comes out my breather.Has this happened to anyone and what caused it.Some say it's the HV punp and others it's a spun cam bearing.HELP

Score 1 2 3 4 5 (5=Excellent) Edit Message Delete Message Lock Thread Respond to this message

Author Reply
RJP
(no login)
198.81.17.162 Crankcase pressure
No score for this post May 22 2001, 9:51 PM

Engine fresh? Sounds to me like the rings are not seated. Check for blow-by. If the engine isn't fresh then maybe the rings are shot, either case its too much c/c pressure. I don't think the h/v pump has much to do with your problem.

Score 1 2 3 4 5 (5=Excellent) Edit Message Delete Message Lock Thread Respond to this message

T-BOLT
(no login)
206.159.117.190 Crankcase Preasure
No score for this post May 23 2001, 4:35 AM

yes the emgine is fresh with maybe 2-300 miles on it.It must of been a low milage engine cause the machine shop said it did'nt have to be bored.Could be the rings havent seated yet.I'll have to put some more miles on it i guess and go from there.

StickBBF
(no login)
205.158.104.42 Oil out Breather...
No score for this post May 23 2001, 9:35 AM

T-Bolt, is there a baffle beneath your breather - on the inside of the valve cover? Are there "oil deflectors" installed at your rockers?

Most folks don't re-install their OEM oil deflectors on their rocker arms for one reason or another. They are designed to deflect the oil pumped up thru the pushrods down to the pivot balls. When the rpms come up, oil pressure comes up and would cause this condition to be worse. They were on OEM rockers, but depending on what type/style rockers you are using now will dictate whether you can install the OEM deflectors on your rockers. So without the oil deflectors, the baffle is even more important to have.

I didn't want to cobble up the OEM deflectors in an attempt to re-install them on my non-OEM rockers. Nor did my non-OEM valve covers didn't have a baffle beneath the vent opening. I didn't want to drill holes thru the cover or worry about leaks at the holes to fasten a baffle, I didn't want to weld on the valve covers cause it could deform or deface the top/outside surface. So this is what I did -- I used J-B WELD to fasten a 3" square piece of metal screen (like window screen, but heavier) beneath the vent opening on the inside of the valve cover. I bent it to make two flat sides to fasten but still not touch the rocker stud locnuts. The screen prevents oil from being directly splashed onto/into the vent from the valvetrain, it can drain back and still provide venting of the crankcase. ...just my 2 cents worth & it worked for me. Ryan

T-BOLT
(no login)
206.159.117.217 deflectors
No score for this post May 23 2001, 6:18 PM

I bought this engine as a basket case and i dont remember if the deflectors are there,so i'll have to pull the valve covers off and check.i"ll let you know.

T-BOLT
(no login)
206.159.117.217 deflectors
No score for this post May 23 2001, 6:53 PM

I pulled the covers and the deflectors are there.

D&D
(no login)
204.186.177.155 PCV
No score for this post November 26 2001, 1:22 PM

are you running a pcv or some kind of crankcase
evacuation system??

D&D

RJP
(no login)
152.163.194.192 Rings aren't seated....yet
No score for this post May 23 2001, 12:56 PM

Fords are slow in breaking in. It can take up to 4-5000 miles to fully break-in a 429-460 so don't pass judgement on it yet. higher than normal crankcase pressure is to be expected until the rings are fully seated. If the block was bored without a torque plate the cylinders are out of round by as much as .003-.004" due to the high torque of the head bolts.

T-BOLT
(no login)
206.159.117.217 std. bore
No score for this post May 23 2001, 6:13 PM

i had the block and crank checked and it was good for std.rings and bearings.The stock valve covers have the baffels,so i think i will put a few more miles on it and see what happens.

D
(no login)
192.223.186.84 Could it be...
No score for this post May 23 2001, 9:17 AM

that the breather does not have a baffle on the inside of the valve cover ???

I know this sounds weak...just taking a swing at it.

Bruce
(no login)
64.200.176.43 puking oil....
No score for this post November 26 2001, 10:36 AM

Both my race 429 cj and my buddy with his 460 race cj likes to puke alot of oil when thrashed. I have not addressed the issue yet but my buddy went with lines on his breathers that go to two oil recovery cans with breathers on top, his problem is solved... I suspect i will end up doing the same...

Brad
(no login)
216.106.37.216 seating rings
No score for this post November 26 2001, 1:25 PM

was the block honed for the new rings? (cross hatch?) something you could do to help the rings seat is warm the engine up, pull the spark plugs, put about a teaspoon of ATF it the cylinders, put the plugs back in and immediatly go drive it with a heavy load. Some of the engine builders these days even assemble the engine(piston/ring lube only) with ATF.

D&D
(no login)
204.186.171.31 rings
No score for this post November 27 2001, 3:05 PM

With todays moly rings,if the block was honed correctly to the type of rings,the rings are pretty much seated by the time it comes off the engine stand!
If it is chrome rings,that is a totally different story!

Most drag motors have only a few minutes on them before they compete and most of our engines leak down at 97-99% seal

RJP
(no login)
198.81.16.37 Correct boring
No score for this post November 27 2001, 10:32 PM

Thats the key word here...but most shops that bore blocks do so without a torque plate and a 460 done without one will have as much as .003-.004" out-of round in the cylinders. Until the rings seat that will allow alot of blow-by.

mcs
(Login mcsteiny)
216.224.143.228 Been having second thoughts on HV pumps for...
No score for this post November 26 2001, 10:26 PM

...street engines with tight clearances for a while now. It's one of my pet theories. What might be happening is this. The HV pump is pumping an abundance of oil up into the cylinder heads, and it can't drain back fast enough. This is a common problem with FE street motors, and builders who use the HV pump. If their is a way to restrict the oil to the top end, I would do it. Some builders try to enlarge the return hole in the heads. Be careful doing this. Another thing to check is to see if you used too much silicon on the intake, and it is restricting the return.

An engine using a High Volumne oil pump, that has stock clearances in it will cause the oil to take the path of least resistance, which in many cases is the upper cylinder heads, if not restricted. When you restrict the oil to the top end, and use factory tight clearances, you cause the HV pump to build more pressure. In my opinion, you are starting to turn your oil pump into a hydraulic pump, rather than just being the supply pump it was designed to be.

Check and see if you are puddling to the upper heads. All internal combustion engines have a certain amount of blowby. Even brand new motors with the rings seated. If you had too much oil under the valve covers, some is going to be puked out. As usual, this is only my opinion.

Gary
(no login)
12.13.226.14 HV oil pumps
No score for this post November 27 2001, 9:14 AM

I used hv oil pumps in a lot of 460 over the years with no problems the one thing you need to remember is at 50psi a .250 hole is going to flow x amount no mater how big the pump is a hv pump doesn't move any more oil than a stock pump Intel your clearances have be come larger tell then it will just bypass oil you use one so the costumer has good oil pressure at 70 or 100k miles now I have had problems with high pressure pumps they will put oil out places you never thought of make sure you have a hv not hp your oil pressure shouldn't be over about 50 to 60psi cold.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.