460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
460 powered 67 mustang quarter mile times, UPDATED TIMES

Combo is:
1977 460 with 1970 heads, 8.75 compresson (pistons down in the hole)
heads have had exhaust bump removed and valve springs, otherwise untouched stock cast iron DOVE (no 3 angle valve job)
Holley 1000 hp by Patrick James of Pro-Systems
Performer intake manifold
212/224 @ .050 cam, 110 lobe center (made for exhaust manifolds)
Crites 2" primary headers with 3.5" collectors
Magnaflow 3" mandrel bent full exhaust
C6 automatic with 2500 rpm converter
3.50 rear gear
Cal-trac bars and shocks, stock 390 front springs, stock 289 rear leafsprings
tires are MT ET Street 27/10.50/15 bias ply (8.9" tread)
car weight with driver is 3480 lbs (full interior, heater, exhaust, etc)
I let the car shift itself at 5000 rpm

ET was 12.56
MPH was 108.2
60 ft was 1.78
temp was 53 degrees

Opinions welcome, but realize this engine was just put in to get the car going and I already had it.

Video of car at the track: (Click on full size!)

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc110/laveennick/?action=view&current=67atSpeedworld019.flv

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc110/laveennick/?action=view&current=67atSpeedworld014.flv

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jpierce55 said:
Very impressive for the small combo. Did you have any trouble tuning the big carb on the little engine? Sounds like it is running pretty good.
No tuning was done, besides setting the idle mixture screws and idle speed. I'm running it straight out of the box from Pro-Systems. I had to tell Patrick everthing about the engine, trans, and car before he built it. I've also ran a stock Holley 850 dp with no problems.
My timing is at 16 initial, 36 total, all in at 2500 rpm's.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
nickbay said:
jpierce55 said:
Very impressive for the small combo. Did you have any trouble tuning the big carb on the little engine? Sounds like it is running pretty good.
No tuning was done, besides setting the idle mixture screws and idle speed. I'm running it straight out of the box from Pro-Systems. I had to tell Patrick everthing about the engine, trans, and car before he built it. I've also ran a stock Holley 850 dp with no problems.
I would say he really got the carb right for your package. I was thinking about giving him some business later this year and if money works out he will get it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jpierce55 said:
nickbay said:
jpierce55 said:
I would say he really got the carb right for your package. I was thinking about giving him some business later this year and if money works out he will get it.
Only about $50 more than Summit wanted for a stock Holley hp.
He's available 24/7 for tech service also.
When I called or e-mailed him he responded within a few minutes.
Not trying to sound like a sales pitch but I'm happy.
I sent back my 850 from Holley, for secondaries sticking, it ran good, it was a refurbished unit I bought on E-bay from Holley, and they sent me another one, it was worse and I'm sending it back today. They say they're sending me a brand new one. I hope it's ok.
I've been dealing with Holley for 3 months. Never again

·
Registered
527 Posts
Nice job Nick....combo looks like its running right on par considering the parts. 8)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anybody want to guess what the addition of ported Edelbrock heads will help the ET? Heads weigh about 70 less lbs.
I'm guessing .1 to .3 because the engine just can't make use of the high flowing heads. More info, 6 pistons .030 in the hole, 2 replacement pistons are .055 in the hole.
HP guesses anybody? :oops:
ET guesses anybody?

No time to build it right, just having fun. :lol:
The only additon will be ported Edelbrock heads, stay tuned! :lol:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
RAN WITH ALUMINUM HEADS, NEW ET

Got the aluminum heads on and took off 76 lbs, nothing serious back seat etc, that can be put back in. Still has full carpet, front seats, etc.
Edelbrock heads were 62 lbs lighter.

Ran:

ET: 12.15
MPH 110.86
60 FT 1.72

Car & driver now weighs 3218 lbs.
It was around 12 degrees hotter at 65 degrees versus 53 degrees last time.
Tried to up the shift point to 5400 rpm's but it just nosed over in 2nd.
We let it shift itself around 5200 rpms, it seems to like it there with the
212 degree cam.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Totally awesome! Pull off that Performer and put an RPM Air Gap on there and while it's off add 10 - 15 degrees of cam duration and you'll be knocking on the 10-second door.

Good job!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Totally awesome! Pull off that Performer and put an RPM Air Gap on there and while it's off add 10 - 15 degrees of cam duration and you'll be knocking on the 10-second door.

Good job!
Thanks for the kind words. I do believe you're being very optimistic but I appreciate your enthusiasm. I would be happy with 11's with the weenie cam. I do believe it would be possible if not for the 8.75 compression and two pistons .055 down in the hole.
I doubt the motor makes even 400 hp. We had fun though.
The reason I don't want to change the short block is that I would rather just put a 545 stroker short block in. If I can think of a few more things to change to make this weenie cam/piston challenged motor run 11's we'll probably go one more time.
Ideas anyone?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Yes indeed, very optimistic, as close to 10's could prove tough, but again I would say at least put on a better intake. I think that alone would get you into high 11's.

Oh yes, and ram air like the t-bolt style. My buddy put that on his car and picked up like .3 tenths with stock heads...put him solidly into the 11's. Makes a big difference on the big end of the track.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Almost ran 11's

Went out again with different shock settings and pass front seat out.
I haven't figured out the weight yet.
It ran:
12.019 ET
112.55 mph
1.72 60 ft
112.98 best mph

It ran 12.0s 4 out of 6 times, tried some stuff that didn't work on the two that it didn't run 12.0

It is flattening out on the top end because of the cam.
It's not the fuel because I put a fuel pressure switch on it and it's not coming on.

I'm afraid if I pull more weight it will just mph more and flatten out more on the top end. It needs more cam, but we all knew that right?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Good job!

Indeed, we all know it needs more cam....although I say put on a new intake and some ram air and you're in the money ...and the 11's! Have I beaten that horse hard enough yet?! HA!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like the cold air idea, I've always had a cold air system on all my cars except this one. They do work, especially to keep the jetting more consistent. It's just something I haven't worked out yet how to fit it in with the big motor. As far as the rpm intake goes, I don't have the hood clearance for the extra height and I'd like to keep the original sprint hood.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Ah, well no hood clearance sounds like a problem for 2 of the quick/easy ways to get faster. So, get a new hood!

So maybe you should retard the cam 2 degrees or so, get a bit more top end out of it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts