460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this web site. Did a search came up with nothing. So I hope you guys can help. I am interested in doing a swap. my 351m for a 460.What im looking for in the engine is between 500 and 600Hp. This truck is a 4x4 F-150 1978 (heavy)This truck will be used for off road use no hills just mudd. I have not bought the engine yet. so I was woundering what year is the best year and are real easy to get my hands on.(from salvage yard) Then I guess the next question is what would be the best heads Stock with head work done later..With date codes please or what they came in. So could some one help me get started.I know this may have been asked 100 times sorry. I know all about the diffrent timming chain. I just want a good cheap build. Stock crank,will go with diffrent rods and pistons,cam,head work and over bore. I was'nt going to do this but a friend has a built chevy 455. I told him a ford 460 will walk on him. for half of the price of his build. After all is said and done I will let every one know the out come.Hope I put this in the right place.
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
You did come to the right place. With budget in mind. Your going to want to keep probably iron heads.. good aluminu intake and past that as many cubic inches as possible. IMO.... if you can afford a stroker kit. DO IT.. I know you can build a max iron headed stroker motor and make plenty of power to drive around that ole chebbie.. Welcome to the greatest site in the world for BBF information, tech and parts.

Brad

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Here's a build opinion that will get you started:

Any good 460 from wrecking yard, lots of 83-86 trucks now.

Rebuild shortblock, crank balanced:
Speed-Pro forged flat tops
Speed-Pro plasma moly rings
Roller timing chain
Crower 22205 cam - 280-288 adv. - [email protected] - .536, .540 lift - 108 LSA
Stock rebuilder on rest of parts

Get DOVE heads from Scott Johnson http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/ rebuilt with budget port job and rest of parts stock.

Get recurved Duraspark distributor from Scott also.

Edelbrock performer manifold

Holley 750 DP

1 7/8 headers with 3-inch exhaust with Magnaflows.

Keep the redline to 6000.

Will require race gas to be mixed with 91-octane fuel.

This will give you a motor with a lot of torque. :twisted: I wouldn't worry about hp numbers. I used to beat a lot of "500 hp" trucks with only 425 hp.

You'll have to upgrade the stock fuel system also to larger lines.

One note on the carburetor, this is one area if you spend the extra money, it pays off a lot. TPC Racing 830-589-3040, Quick Fuel Technology 270-793-0900, and/or Competition Carburetion 573-885-3920 would be money well spend buying a modified Holley from one of them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keep in mind I am GREEN when it comes to the Tech, stuff. so some of these questions may soud stupid but make sense to me to ask. So bare with me if you dont mind.Thanks for the welcome to the site. I have sat on here for over 3hrs just reading everything that i could cram into my brain.I just want to make sure I got everything in order. Ok I use the stock crank what would need too be done to the crank? Just balanced? I noticed when I looked the cam up on crower site they sold a kit to go with the cam.It came with lifters, guide plates for the push rods and head springs. Do I need the kit? What about bore would it need to be over sized .30 .60 or more? I know that the C ratio will be an issue. Do I keep the stock rods? Do I need roller rockers?How much torque am I looking at. I'm running 40" tires. I will buy the DOOVE heads. ANd all of the above just curious.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
balance the whole rotating assembly, and have the main and rod journals inspected, if theyre worn youll have to have it ground down .010 or if its really bad maybe .020, get the bearings for the amount ground, or if the machine shop says your crank is screwed, go get a stroker assembly- theres one on ebay right now fully balanced and ready to go in 545 stroker- ebay #200057991189, and with the stock d3ve heads ported properly should be fine with dished pistons on pump gas as a 545, if youre wanting to keep it as a 460 youll want flat tops for the stock d3ve heads, or if you go with dove heads youll want a dish as well for pump gas
if youre sticking with the stock crank and its in good shape, you should be able to reuse the stock rods, with the 460 with a good cam and heads properly ported and headers youd have around 500ft-lbs, and you wouldnt need roller rockers, but if you decide to get them, remember that the stock rocker ratio is 1.73, so i wouldnt downgrade them by using 1.7, if anything id throw 1.8s on there, also id definitely recommend the kit for whatever cam you decide on, also your overbore depends on your block, if you want the engine to last a long time id keep the boreing to a minimum... .030 is a good standard overbore, and will give you a 466 when done to a stock block, the 545 is already set up for a .030 over block

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
The very first thing you're going to need is a good engine builder/machinist. What area do you live in?

Tell us a little more about your truck. So far, we have this:

1978 F150 4x4
40-inch tires

Do you have 1-ton axles on it?

What type of trans do you have, auto or stick?

If auto, does it have a stock torque converter?

What is your gear ratio in your front and rear axle?

Is this going to be street driven, and if so, everyday or once in a while?

Does it have to run on pump gas?

What is your budget?

We can help some more with more info. 8)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it has dana 60 front and rear stock.
I hane the granny 4 speed right now but when the 460 gos in I'm putting a C6 with it. NP208 transfercase
Gear in the front is 4.56
I would like to drive it maybe 30 miles one way every now and then.
I want to try and stay around 2000-3000
Plus I found a set of Dove -c heads cheap think I could maybe buy them.
If I bought them could I send them to scott or does it work that way.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
CustomF150

If you really want a good mudding truck and your on a budget, and looking to kick your buddies A$$ .. then I'd just order a Ford Racing 514 crate motor and be done with it .. you'll save money in the long run .. everything you get is brand new and if you need to up grade for more power at least you know it'll stay together once you do . Plus they come complete intake to oil pan fancy valve covers to boot.
And if the $9866.99 for the 625 H.P 514 is too steep then opt for the 550 H.P 460 crate they also carry .. $7866.99 these prices are out of Jeg's . You may get a better price from Ford themselves.. so check out your local ford dealership. Or better yet Check with Lem Evans to see what he can fix you up with.

ShaZam

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That kinda money is way over budget.(crate motor)(stroker).
Sorry guys I know if you want performance you got to spend the money.But I just had a new born.So for now everything has got to be limited.
I want to take a 460 from a salvage yard have the machine work done bore ,crank ect. Looking only to spend $2000-$3000 on the engine and if I can do it for less the better. I do understand you get what you pay for.
I just need something that want run 200 mph but has alot odf torque for the mudd.Sorry but my old lady is on my *** she does not want me to spend a dime.(To Bad for her)So i'm tring to meet her in the middle.
Thanks for anymore input or help Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Keep all your receipts in a shoe box for this motor and when you get that motor where you think you want it .. Add them all up and let us know how much you spent .
Granted it's easier to come up with a few hundred for this and a few bucks for that. But when it's all said and done Your going to be shocked as to how much you spend on this toy.

ShaZam

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I know that is going to add up to a good bit but this is way I got do it right know. I also forgot to add that my wife is in collage(more money for that also). So is the first post from DJOHAGIN sound like a good starting point. Nothing bad about the post just like to get more opinions

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
You can do it...

You can do it for 3K. Check out ScottyJ's website for porting info. I had him do 1 port for me and I copied it. The flow bench confirmed that I can't hang with him, but the first time I floored my 4x4 on dry pavement, I almost wrecked it. If you really try, you CAN drive a 4x4 sideways and keep it out of the swamp. :twisted: The most important thing is a GOOD machinist who will make your stuff square and plumb so you can bolt it together with no worries. ( A little carpentry lingo there. :lol: ) I think there may be a few on this forum. :D

·
Registered
575 Posts
If you get a 460 and have it rebuilt with good stock parts with flat top pistons, have the rotating assembly balanced, Use some high compression heads C8 or C9VE's or Dove's. These are heads from the early 429's with high compression. Forget about the porting. Put it together and you'll have more power than you know what to do with. You'll find that some of these guys have real deep pockets on this board. I've found that Ford parts are almost always more expensive than Chevy. I know I am going to get slammed for saying this but he said $3000.00.

·
Registered
123 Posts
build

Hmmmm. darrin will appreciate this post.
I too started out here with some bright eyed ideas + $1500 for a like minded build. This 15 hundo has grown to about 35 hundo when complete. In my case, it wasn't machine work, but mostly parts costs. A set of L+L headers will break the weekly bank alone, not counting on a good carb. $1K for this combo alone!
+ I differ with you on the torque issue. If you're running in mud, pure muck, you better have some serious h.p. + very, very good rubber, if you want to finnish 1st. Just watch some mud runners videos. You'll hear the engine spool up to the stall + take off + try to float on the muck. At least that's the plan. It takes h.p. to do that.
I'm just relating my experiences here + not stating "this is how it's goin ta be" You might even consider downsizing on those tires. It takes some grunt to move 40"'s in the muck.
Keep us posted as to how this turns out. + the results of the race!
firewoodtruck

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Any 460 block from scrap yard
SIR rods from brian @ AD performance
KB pistons
D0ve heads
Cam with lifter and matching valve springs
oil pump
Oil pump shaft
Pre 73 timing chain
Recurved dizzy
Gasket set
machine work
Rocker arms
Headers
header bolts
Aluminum intake
Intake bolts
750+ carb
carb spacer
plug wires
coil
cap & rotor
oil filter
oil
cam break-in lube
Bearings through out engine!

Maybe if you have a little extra buy a windage tray / screen, new head & main bolts!

You can reuse a couple of items here and there but you could go through the catalogs and throw a number beside them to get an idea.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's a build opinion that will get you started:

Any good 460 from wrecking yard, lots of 83-86 trucks now.

Rebuild shortblock, crank balanced:
Speed-Pro forged flat tops
Speed-Pro plasma moly rings
Roller timing chain
Crower 22205 cam - 280-288 adv. - [email protected] - .536, .540 lift - 108 LSA
Stock rebuilder on rest of parts

Get DOVE heads from Scott Johnson Parkland Performance Auto Machine - Home rebuilt with budget port job and rest of parts stock.

Get recurved Duraspark distributor from Scott also.

Edelbrock performer manifold

Holley 750 DP

1 7/8 headers with 3-inch exhaust with Magnaflows.

Keep the redline to 6000.

Will require race gas to be mixed with 91-octane fuel.

This will give you a motor with a lot of torque. :twisted: I wouldn't worry about hp numbers. I used to beat a lot of "500 hp" trucks with only 425 hp.

You'll have to upgrade the stock fuel system also to larger lines.

One note on the carburetor, this is one area if you spend the extra money, it pays off a lot. TPC Racing 830-589-3040, Quick Fuel Technology 270-793-0900, and/or Competition Carburetion 573-885-3920 would be money well spend buying a modified Holley from one of them.
Building a similar build and I was wondering how this cam you mentioned performed and sounded

1 - 18 of 18 Posts