460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m new to the 460Ford. I visit other forums, but I’ve been told this was probably the best to help me with my current project. I will try to keep it short and simple. I have a ‘77F100 running a 302. I’ve did a little work to the 302 and it’s a pretty strong engine and I’ve decided to put it in a mustang and drop a 460 in the F100. I picked up a 460 w/transmission out of a ’76 Lincoln Continental about two weeks ago. He started the engine up and it runs fine, just needs a good cleaning up, rusty freeze plugs, and stuff like that. I want to dissemble and clean it up real good and paint the block, but I hate to dissemble a good running motor. I have a build in mind but I wanted some opinions on, and also any input on how difficult will this swap be?
Hedman Hedders 89140 PART# HED-89140 SUMMIT
Stock Heads DV3E A2A
Stock Bottom End
Edelbrock Carb 650cfm
Weiand 8012 Intake Summit PART# WND-8012
Comp Cam 265DEH Summit PART# 34-223-4
Brass Freeze Plugs
Pre ’71 Timing Set (I was told that the ’76 has a retarded timing set up)
The truck isn’t used for racing or pulling. It’s just a weekend toy to keep me busy.
It has an electric ignition, so the electrical shouldn’t be a problem. I have a C6 to bolt up to it. I still have to find a drive shaft, and motor mounts for the frame, which I’m having a problem with. I thought I found a set in Advance Auto, but I was told that’s not what I need. Does anyone have a picture of the correct mounts?

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
I fly a 1974 F100.

You don't just need the motor mounts. You also need the mount towers. You won't find the mount towers at an auto parts store. Only a junk yard. You will find the motor mounts though.

L&L products in Rowlett Texas sells a real nice set of mount towers. I own a set. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.landlproducts.com/list.aspx?cID=1

Here is a link to mine: http://www.MrScharfenberger.com/F100

Ask me anything you want. I've been there and done this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I was told that I had would work because the towers were basically either for a V6 or V8. Thanks!! That's why I'm asking. I want as few surprises as possible when I start this thing. I dont want the truck sitting in the garage forever.

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
My truck had a 360 in it originally and I was told the same thing. When I lowered in the new 460 motor the motor mounts went into the mount towers. However the water pump was about 1 inch away from the radiatior. No room at all for pulleys or a fan. And it was sitting crooked in there. The nose of the water pump pointing out towards the passenger side. And I had way too much room between the back of the motor and the firewall. It was obvious that it would not work. Give L&L a call. They are experts with your year truck. You don't necessarily have to buy anything but they are a wealth of knowledge. I'm not affiliated with them. I'm just a very satisfied customer.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Carb should be at least a 750. 650 is almost too small for a stocker.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I will give L&L a call. I've actually been considering just finding another body that came with a 460. The truck I have, the interior has been redone, and the body is'nt bad, just a little rust. But I pulled out the vinyl bedliner yesterday, and the rust is worse than I thought it would be. I think it will take alot of sheetmetal and filler to fix the bed. It may be cheaper to find a body and just have it painted vs. repairing the rust.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I did the same swap on a 74 f100. Removed the 302/c4 combo, Donor was a 74 ltd. 460 and c-6. I used the mounts and stuff from a donor truck. The Drive shaft was strange to find cause cars have a longer tailstock than a truck c-6. I used a (chevy) driveshaft from a 78 2wd subburban. Perfect lenght. I know its a chevy part, but on a budget and it was laying in the old mans back yard in the grass. I did not find out till later. I used the power sterring pump and ac pump and all brackets from the car. It all fit real nice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will look for that drive shaft. Thanks for the input. I found a tower today for a 429/460 for $50. What type of work if any did you do to the 460 before you dropped it in?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Hedman Hedders 89140 PART# HED-89140 SUMMIT
Stock Heads DV3E A2A
Stock Bottom End
Edelbrock Carb 650cfm
Weiand 8012 Intake Summit PART# WND-8012
Comp Cam 265DEH Summit PART# 34-223-4
Brass Freeze Plugs
Pre ’71 Timing Set (I was told that the ’76 has a retarded timing set up)
The intake is a bit mismatched for the rest of your combo. Ditch the Weiand and go with an Edelbrock Performer (the non-RPM version). The Weiand is more suited to something with peak power a little higher in the rev range.

I'm a little torn on a flat-out recommendation for a 750 carb. A 750 will wake up the engine up top but the 650 will be bonkers-good for throttle response and power below 4000. If you go 750, stick with a vac secondary. It's a little better suited to a heavier vehicle with an auto tranny.

Clean up the heads a bit. Given that you will have headers some basic port matching and exhaust port work (specifically, grinding out the thermactor bump) will easily net you another 20-30 hp.

If you're going through the bottom end be sure to get the right pistons. A lot of jobber pistons will get you back to the stock 8.5:1(-ish) comp ratio. Cull the forum for part numbers. I wouldn't go to high though. Static compression will be pretty steep with your cam. Around 9:1 is about max. Any higher and you'll be relegated to running premium.

By the way, the part number you listed is for the 255DEH. The 265DEH is 34-226-4

Otherwise it looks like a good build for a daily driver needing plenty of low end and midrange oomph. Should have you motoring happily for a long time.

Brad

·
Registered
44 Posts
most ford trucks from 79 back that had 460 engines you can get the motor mount brackets out of and they are a direct blt in to your truck gotta love ford for that. 66-79 you can pull the cab and bed off and they bolt right into the other chassis. some mods needed of course but bolt position is the same

1 - 10 of 10 Posts