460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Iam working on a 1969 460 with DOVE A heads thread in pedistal type. I installed comp cams Advertised Duration 268/268, Lift .494/.494 . kit number K34-227-4 purchased through summit racing.com. stock length push rods and stock rocker arms. I am on my first engine build and noticed something odd when installed the rocker arms. The nut bottoms out at the bottom of the pedistal with about 5 or so threads protruding from the top, however the rocker arm is still really loose. I installed the rocker arm then the bearing washer then nut. the search feature turned up nothing useful for me. any help would be appreciated.

Second question
the kit came with a timing chain but was told to keep the old timing chain on my motor since they retarded the timing in later years. I couldn't tell a differance between the two and was wondering if anyone had any advice on installing the new or sticking to the old. the top question is more important to me though.

art anchorage alaska....1955 ford f-100

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
get longer push rods or shim washer under nut (7/16 id). the $$$$ one.---- change to a adjustable valve train .-- studs/guide plates/rockers/studs / push rods

·
Registered
289 Posts
The early year timing chains are not retarded, which is want you want. However, you might want to replace it anyway with a new one, it's likely that the old one has stretched some.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Look at the keyway in the crank gear of the timing sets. IF the keyway is directly in line with a tooth of the gear it is a "Zero" set; IF the kryway is between two teeth then it is the "retarded" timing set.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Getting longer pushrods I guess it'll be. Now I have to figure out that process!
As far as the timing chain issue goes. I'm going to install the new one that came with the kit. I would like to know if it is retarded or not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got to e site but I really like it already . I have a zero set:) awesome! Well thanks for all your help guys!

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Getting longer pushrods I guess it'll be. Now I have to figure out that process!
As far as the timing chain issue goes. I'm going to install the new one that came with the kit. I would like to know if it is retarded or not.
Are you looking for a different answer than the one I just gave...?

Then set-up to degree it so you can actually measure the difference.

·
Super Moderator
5,001 Posts
Longer push rods is the answer... HOWEVER. What you need first is a pushrod length checker. You aren't going to know what length pushrods to order and there are many different sizes out there. It needs to be an exact length. Not a guess at the length. Summit racing sells a pushrod length checker from Trick Flow for $11.95. I have one out in my barn and I believe it measures from 8.5 inches to 9.5 inches. I don't think you said if you are using roller rockers or not (Scorpion and Harland Sharp both make pedestal mount roller rockers) but if so you have to get them centered on the top of the valve. If you are off one way or the other and not centered you will wear out your valve guides prematurely. Using the pushrod length checker you can make sure the rockers are centered and that you have the correct valve lash. Hope this helps. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
5,001 Posts
I went back and re-read. I see you are using stock rocker arms. The other guys already answered the timing chain question. Nothing more to answer there.. I wish you could see the whole thread during the reply. It would help. I must be getting old. The short term memory is going. LOL. Again... Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rmcomprandy. You gave me the correct answer on the timing chain. I was typing in the reply block when you answered my question sorry. I ordered the valve spring remover tool and a measurement pushrod from summit. thanks for your help. Oh and the summit tech told me i needed a test valve spring so i don't collapse my lifters so I ordered that too.:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Retarded timing chains?????.....

timing chains are just chains....they can't be "retarded".....How-ever, the crankshaft sproket was used to retard cam timing starting in the early '70's, when they started changing stuff for emissions. Compare timing marks on both sprockets in relationship to the crank keyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts