460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does an automatic and a 4spd. tranny take the same gear reduction starter? Parts stores say they are different. The people that sell the gear reduction starters don't know.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O.K. then

Will a starter from a 95 ford truck(because I've heard they are sort of like a gear reduction starter) with a manuel tranny FIT a early 70's 460 motor with a 4spd? I want this because I'm going through starters like they are water. The gear reduction starters on ebay are for autos. Oops, and I just remembered I had to use a flywheel from a 390. But, I guess that doesn't matter because everytime I get a starter it's for a 460.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called the people at BBf on Ebay and they didn't know. I went to Bumper to Bumper Auto Parts today and had them dig out a starter for a 95 ford , 460 with a manuel tranny and compared it to mine and it wasn't the same. Guess I can't have a mini starter. :(

·
Registered
145 Posts
I beleive a auto can be made to work.

I use to run a starter and alt. shop and on some ford starters for them to work on manual you had to do a little grinding on the nose i beleive. They make a 10 tooth, 12, 13 tooth drive that can help with depth issues on the pmgr ford minis.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts