460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 78 thunderbird that i want to swap a 460 into , just wanting to know what all i need to accomplish this. I have a 302 i it now ,

·
Premium Member
9,268 Posts
The 1978 thunderbird is on essentially the same intermediate chassis as the 72 to 76 thunderbirds and 72 to 79 Lincoln Marks. All cam with BBF's and you NEED those engine mounts from any big block intermediate 72 to 78.

Best to just try and find an engine and trans from one of the above along with the other essentials and transfer over to your small block car. You can piece meal it but it gets spendy.

I have done this many many times and it is not at all difficult.

S

·
Registered
41 Posts
460 t-bird swap

I believe the 78 t-bird shared the same chassis as the 72 and up torino could be wrong? anyway crites has mounts and headers for that combo instead of hunting for factory stuff

·
Premium Member
9,268 Posts
I believe the 78 t-bird shared the same chassis as the 72 and up torino could be wrong? anyway crites has mounts and headers for that combo instead of hunting for factory stuff
The torino, montego, ranchero, big cougar, elite, t bird and mark were all intermediate chassis...

Crites stuff is fine if he cant find the factory mounts.

Their headers leave a lot to be desired from a design and performance perspective...

Hooker 6126 and FPA are good header sources.

S

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 1978 thunderbird is on essentially the same intermediate chassis as the 72 to 76 thunderbirds and 72 to 79 Lincoln Marks. All cam with BBF's and you NEED those engine mounts from any big block intermediate 72 to 78.

Best to just try and find an engine and trans from one of the above along with the other essentials and transfer over to your small block car. You can piece meal it but it gets spendy.

I have done this many many times and it is not at all difficult.

S
Does that increase the value? My son wanted a classic car for his first car he found a 71 with suicide doors 46k miles. Idk if he should drive it or cherish it. He turns 16 in 2 weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts