Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy howdy folks!

This is my first post --- although I have been reading 460ford.com posts for quite awhile.

I recently bought a 1998 theft recovery Mustang. The car had no motor, trans, radio, speakers, lights, etc etc. I picked it up real cheap.

I also have a nicely worked 460 & c6 that I am working to get in the car. I will use an AJE tubular K-member to hold it in.

I have a few "basic" questions:

Where can I get a set of headers / what company makes them for this application (I find plenty for Fox, 94-96, but nothing for 97+)?

Can I use my stock radiator & electric fan (origional motor was 3.8L V6)?

Will the stock differential handle the power (Mustang is not a GT)?

Will the front suspension require modification?

Do I need a roll cage to stiffen the body?

Can I use the stock fuel pump (to Holley 4bbl carb)?

Thats all I can think of for now. My main problem is getting headers. I can work the rest out after I get it running.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
the money

alot of the fox body theings may work or may not most of the things only go to a 96. u may be better to sell it and get a older car if udont have money to spend. i put 10,000 because it was the best price u had but i think u are looking more at 20,00-30,000 and if u what a/c and all 30,000-40,000,

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
I agree, I put 10,000 also because it was the best price. 1,000 won't do it.

Plus, I moved this to General tech.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To clarify:

I already have the engine professionally built. I have all the things that bolt on to it, except the headers, and I have a built C6.

I also have a machine shop for any fabrications I need.

I think (hope) that should offset most of the costs you folks were thinking about.

At this point, I really just need to get a set of headers on order so I can get this thing rolling.

Thanks for the help everyone,

Ryan

·
Registered
85 Posts
How radical is your motor?
Stock fuel injected V-6, fuel pump wont work!
I would put a sump in the stock tank, and match it with a fuel pump that matches up best with the HP of your motor!
Cage all depends on what your gonna do!
Daily Driver? If so, just put a set of sub frame connector in it.
Track car? If so, think more on connector and a cage!
Headers? I would call Hooker!
Or call Bob at D&D for a costom set! (610-432-0041)
Hope this helps! :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
521kid, thanks for the response

The motor is rather radical. The machinist said the cam is so hot it will barely run at idle. Its been bored 0.080 out. I'm sure Ill be north of 500hp, but not sure how far.

Ill need to look into a fuel pump then.

I will drag race this car on the 1/4 mile. But I also plan to drive it to the track if the engine will run well enough. I don't plan to do any actual "track" racing though. Mainly a car to accelerate quickly in a straight line, whether that is on the strip or highway...well, lets just see what happens :)

What is a "sub-frame connector" ?

I called Hooker. They said they don't have anything for me! :(

Custom headers are probably very expensive, right?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mustangs have no frame underneath, they only have front and rear subframes! Only thin sheetmetal connecting the two! Subframe connectors, connect the two together, to eliminate twist!
Go to Jegs website and look up part number:467-GMSF9498
If your going to take it to the track, i would concider a cage! Cause if it leaves hard, even with frame connectors it still may twist!
Also I doubt the stock V-6 Radiator would work! I wouldnt try it! :?
Good luck with your build! :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
the AJE k member is nice products but no instructions.i will bet that i have called 20 times trying to figure out were the different items go and what tork to put them at.i could be trying to disrespect them but i wont they have been verry good at helping get everything correct.

dont forget about beefing up your tork box were the rearend connects to the frame.go to wolfcraft.com to check out their products and installment instructions.loads of good info.......

D&D has a nice set of mid leingth headers and long tube headers.the long tube headers price start at around 700.00 .kook's will make you a set of headers also but the price is around 900-1000.00

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Larry,

I'm not finding the info on wolfcraft on the internet. Are you sure of the name / web address?

I emailled Kook's & D&D...will see what they come up with.

Thanks for the help Larry.

·
Banned
4,325 Posts
get the cam specks and post them my bet is they put some smallish BBC type cam in it and thinking it is the same... :wink:

Randy

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
All BB Fox swap parts work in Mustangs up to 2004 with aftermarket or stock 94-95 K-members. Buy the AJE K-member to fit a 94-95 with 5.0 and it will work in your car and accept swap engine mounts. Or go with motor plates. If money is tight, use a stock 94-95 K-member.

I like the Hooker swap headers myself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BBBob,

I got the AJE member designed to fit the 460 into my 98. Hooker says their headers wont fit.

D&D says their headers might fit but might need "tweaking" --- Im a bit nervous as to what that means.

Also, a general question, what is the difference between normal full length headers & "race" headers?

Thanks everyone,
Ryan

·
Banned
4,325 Posts
First of all never had one fit right the first time it is an aftermarket setup, so with that said everything may need fitted...

Never expect it to fit right... always expect to modify it, it is nothing to do..just takes time.

Randy

·
Registered
730 Posts
jones said:
good post so you can compare everybody

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
98TheftReco said:
BBBob,

I got the AJE member designed to fit the 460 into my 98. Hooker says their headers wont fit.

D&D says their headers might fit but might need "tweaking" --- Im a bit nervous as to what that means.

Also, a general question, what is the difference between normal full length headers & "race" headers?

Thanks everyone,
Ryan
Race headers are larger tube, removable collectors, and bad ground clearance.

AJE's big block fox k-member and mounts are basically their K-member designed for chevy's in a fox with an adapter/motormount to fit the big Ford motor to it. The location of the bar coming off the K-member is farther forward than the Ford 5.0 thus the header fitment issues (potential).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is Bob's (D&D) reply to my email:

"Here are some options for you!

** 1 7/8" mid length/shorty design headers $339.95

** 2" street/strip long tube headers-1 piece design $439.95

** 2" or 2 1/8" "race" design-individual tubes-
$649.95 - $679.95

The 1 piece design would be more difficult to tweak/modify if necessary than the individual tube type would be.

Although I can't promise they would be a piece of cake to install,the mid lengths "probably" would be the easiest . "

So...I'm sure I wont have the clearance for the race tubes...should I give the one piece full lengths a try or go with shortys? Is there any real benefit to the full lengths? Actually, pushing even further --- why don't I use the cast manifolds that I got with the block?

Thanks folks.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
For optimum ground clearance for a mostly street driven car, the mid-lengths are the way you should go.... Especially if you want a slightly lowered stance. You would be giving up 20 to 50 h.p. vs a good 2" long-tube header. (amount would depend on how radical the engine was)

I would not even consider using the stock manifolds.

dfree had some mid-length headers for sale in the auction block section .

·
Registered
1 Posts
To clarify:

I already have the engine professionally built. I have all the things that bolt on to it, except the headers, and I have a built C6.

I also have a machine shop for any fabrications I need.

I think (hope) that should offset most of the costs you folks were thinking about.

At this point, I really just need to get a set of headers on order so I can get this thing rolling.

Thanks for the help everyone,

Ryan
How much machine work has to be done to fit the 460 in the v6 stang? I also have a v6 and looking into a 460 swap.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts