460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I have 86 GT started to install the 460 found the exhaust hits on right fire wall and the left collector flange hits the floor, the car has a qa1 cross member and control arms with coil over kit. The swap kit I purchased was from jegs. I did beat the fire wall in a little and the left floor board but I think it would be beneficial to add 1 or 2 inch spacers between front rails and the crossmember. Has anyone done this or had the problem

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
not sure which headers you used, but working over the firewall is normal, as far as spacers under k member, no big deal. it works

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
THAT'S a great header, I have used a LOT LOT LOT of those headers for this swap. You must work over the firewall for the collector, and make a new smaller od cross member so you can clear big ehx.

Rem to lay back eng 3 to 6 deg's for good oil return, and driveshaft angle. And eng needs to be about 1'' toward pass side.
Also clearance firewall at top of bell for those top 2 bolts.

·
Registered
139 Posts
When I started my 93 Mustang 460 swap I purchased an AJE K-member, mounts and spring perches. When the engine was put into place it sat so far back against the firewall that the engine would not fully sit on the mounts. No way to get the C6 to mount as there was no room. I wound up calling D&D auto specialities and bought a pair of their engine swap mounts and full length headers. I reinstalled my stock K-member and the engine sat right down with enough room to install the C6 from below and the trans crossmember and mount fit right up. The headers lined right up with the double humps on the crossmember.

Its possible that the aftermarket K-members move the engine back for better weight transfer which creates the interference problems. Make no mistake, you are putting 10# into a 5# bag so some adjustments will need to be made.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the reply, what did you have to do with the intermediate steering shaft? mines looks like it’s gonna have to go they the header

·
Registered
139 Posts
You’re welcome. Since mine is a dedicated track car I used a Competition Engineering steering column and cut and welded it to fit. It does go thru the headers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts