460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 efi 460 and I am trying to correct the timing I have the rotor lined up with the first spark plug and it’s 10 degrees before tdc it cranks sometimes backfires pretty loud but won’t start it does have spark

·
Registered
887 Posts
It sounds like it’s 180 deg off. Bring it back to TDC on the compression stroke of cyl #1. It doesn’t matter where the spark plug wires are at on the cap as long as the rotor points to the correct cylinder and the wires are in the correct sequence.

·
Registered
887 Posts
The key is making sure #1 is on the compression stroke. If you have a helper pull the #1 plug, put your finger over the plug hole and bump the engine till you feel pressure push your finger away. At this point you can bar the engine over by hand by turning the crank damper bolt till the timing marks line up on the balancer and block pointer.

·
Registered
746 Posts
HI a lot of people don't realize that the crank goes around twice to one turn of the distributor... IE. one time the crank is at TDC and the next turn its 180* out (pointing the other way...) You have to have the right one . since you have found the one just rotate the crank one more time and start #1 wire there follow firing order OR pull the distributor and rotate the rotor back to #1 and go from there.

good luck take care be safe
tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts