460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
175 Posts
Just the gearing (low and high) and lockup converter would put the C6 substantially behind. For me, the E-trans configuration ability through programming to tweak to the vehicle and my preferences is as important as the other advantages. If you don't like these settings, want something different, or just try something out - do it. Revert with a click. :cool:

· Registered
175 Posts
Ah, sucky MPG. I already had overdrive in there, and after trying chipping and emulators on my truck's factory '91 ECM (which helped a bit), I decided to try one of the new-fangled aftermarket DIY-type ECMs. That was the original MegaSquirt v1.01 using a TBI and home-made WBO2. I was floored a couple weeks in when I finally achieved not only better power, but max economy with a 38% improvement over stock. 🎉

About 9 mpg up to 12-13, and it was a combination of a bad knock sensor and the emissions tuning that year that killed the engine so badly. I could still switch tunes and pass emissions. :sneaky: The system cost about $450 all-in, and was saving about $900 each year in fuel, over 20 years ago. I was hooked, and never looked back. Sometimes improvements are in nibbles, and other times in nice, juicy chunks! Best of luck to you in your nibble or chunk. :cool:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts