460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am rebuilding a '73 460 in from a lincoln to swap in my '79 Bronco and i cant find the real answer on whats needed to adapt my Bronco 4x4 C6 transmission to this engine?

I know that i need to use the 460 flexplate but seems like the Bronco torque converter/trans input shaft may not fit directly on the 460.....

Anyone got some infos on this?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What motor was originally in the Bronco?
Ha yep sorry 351M engine.

Ive just checked and the 351m torque converter seems to fit snug on the '73 460 crank, 460 flex plate holes do align with the 351M converter as well.

Dont know about the Bronco C6 transmission shaft length yet....

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
The 351 m / 400 C6 and convertor will bolt up to a 73 460 with out issues. The only difference is 1 less clutch and steel in the forward clutch pack. This is of course contingent on the 460 crank being small pilot which 73 should be.

Large pilot crank has a sharp 90 degree transition from outer register to inner.
Small pilot has a 45* transition from outer to inner.

SJ
used 2b RHP

:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 351 m / 400 C6 and convertor will bolt up to a 73 460 with out issues. The only difference is 1 less clutch and steel in the forward clutch pack. This is of course contingent on the 460 crank being small pilot which 73 should be.

Large pilot crank has a sharp 90 degree transition from outer register to inner.
Small pilot has a 45* transition from outer to inner.

SJ
used 2b RHP

:D
Damn you have answers for everything Scott....

Ill go check right now but im pretty sure thats the small pilot...

Thanks again! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts