460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm beginning the build of the replacement engine for my 88 f250 (460efi c6/w205 t case) that burns oil like no other. The engine in question will be about 10:1 compression regardless of displacement chosen, d0ve-a block .030 over, D3 heads (stock valves, warmed over exhaust port), headers, and a lunati cam at 219/227 @050 540/552 lift 110* lobe separation.
I will be using edelbrocks pro flo 4 efi on it and gutting every piece of smog crap and factory efi on the truck.
The crankshaft I will be using needs turned anyway and I don't trust 50 year old rods, so I thought about having it offset ground to 4.14 stroke and just building it to a 501.

So my question is this, is the extra 40 cubes worth it for a simple truck engine? How would it perform compared to a 460 in mpg, torque, ect...?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
24 hrs and not one person can chime in on this?

lol, seems to happen a lot, go with the 501

I was kinda hoping someone would say 501. Any guesses as to how fuel economy will be effected? I tend to drive this truck almost every day and with its current 6-8 mpg it gets now (mostly city, and I don't drive anything I own nicely) I can't imagine a fresh engine with a much more modern and efficient efi setup could possibly be any worse, but with the larger displacement I'm not really sure.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I was kinda hoping someone would say 501. Any guesses as to how fuel economy will be effected? I tend to drive this truck almost every day and with its current 6-8 mpg it gets now (mostly city, and I don't drive anything I own nicely) I can't imagine a fresh engine with a much more modern and efficient efi setup could possibly be any worse, but with the larger displacement I'm not really sure.
Once you've had 500+ cubes you won't go back to a little 460 :)

I doubt with the EFI setup there'd be much difference in fuel economy with the added cubes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts