460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 62' Lincoln with a 460 swap done a couple owners back. I was advised that when buying a 58 year old car to buy one that someone else hasn't done a bunch of stuff to or you'll spend all your time trying to figure out what they did. Well, I was impressed that instead of the 430 dog that was stock, this one was a beast with the 460 so I ignored that advice and now I'm trying to figure out what all was done to this thing.

I was told it had a C6 trans by the seller only to have a shop inform me that it's an AOD. The weird thing is that the engine is sitting normally on his mounts but the AOD is sitting at an angle (probably almost 10 degrees!) with the brace intentionally bent down on one side - the mechanic is telling me "that's normal for AOD's" but being I can't find a single post anywhere on the internet regarding that I think he just doesn't have any good explanation. Is there some random little secret that only 460 enthusiasts know that explains this cocked transmission thing - like that to pair the AOD to a 460 you can do so without an adapter plate by turning the trans slightly to align a few bolts? I know that's a weird question but I'm just totally confused by it and before I spend more money fixing a bunch of stuff on the car I want to make sure the driveline is in good shape. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can lend me!

·
Registered
561 Posts
No AOD made to fit 460. Probably has one of these...
The trans sits at an angle like yours. Have one myself with a 4R70W. Yours should make a really nice combo if the tranny is in good shape. Make sure the tv cable is adjusted properly or it won't be for long.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha, I appreciate the tip on the TV cable - I'll have the shop check the adjustment on it so I don't burn up my overdrive. Transmission stuff is totally out of my comfort zone so I really appreciate the explanation - I'm trying to talk to the shop about it and while I feel they're a good honest shop, it's a bit uncomfortable not really understanding what they're trying to explain to me (that's why I'm here trying to read up on this stuff so I know just enough to be dangerous). Anyway, I'm glad that this slanted transmission thing is likely just this adapter kit you linked - it looks really strange, but it makes sense now. Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Only IF it has no lock up -converter-one piece imput shaft , that is the weak link in a.o.d.. basically a a.o.d. is a non-computer, cable pressure operated ancestor of the 4r70, with a better overdrive ratio. Both trannies can take 800+ h.p. if built right. Check out bauman controls, broader performance, silver fox transmissions, ect. I want to do the same combo to my 521 mach 1

·
Registered
561 Posts
The Lentech I have behind 501, with the SFI bell housing, trans brake, is flawless 20 years later. Oh, and it’s not “tilted?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I was always going to go that route with the SFI bell but it never looked to me that the pump bolts bolts were substantial enough to hold everything together.I was wrong and your deal is proof.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was told by Jay broader that The differences between an A.O.D. and a 4r70 bellhousing pump bolt configeration is that a.o.d. has full contact with adaptor flange but the 4r70 is lacking on bottom quadrant, making an a.o.d a stronger candidate for s.f.i. bellhousing. Apparently, if one does not need lock up, then buld a a.o.d with 4r internals to get the best of both worlds, or the 11degree rotated ring from speed gems if you want a 4r70 case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want to clarify - the mechanic was refering it it being normal when adapted to fit the 460, not that all AOD's sit at an angle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts