460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a chance to get a 66 Continental 2dr Hardtop for nothing from a friend and the body/interior is pretty darn nice. But the orig 462 is locked up. Anyone done a 460/C6 swap in one of these? Thanks, John.

·
Premium Member
5,597 Posts
Hey guys, I have a chance to get a 66 Continental 2dr Hardtop for nothing from a friend and the body/interior is pretty darn nice. But the orig 462 is locked up. Anyone done a 460/C6 swap in one of these? Thanks, John.
I haven't done the swap but the 460 block does have the MEL trans bellhousing pattern if you have the MEL trans in that car.

Paul

·
Registered
724 Posts
462 mel/460 swap

It will swap nicely, the 430-462 Mel motors are big "Y" block design, and are wider than the 429-460 engines, and the Mel's are much heavier. Lincoln changed over to the 460 in the 68/69 model year, even using the crankshaft power steering pump design on the 460 similar to the 462 unit. A few people on this forum have had some for sale from time to time. This will be a good swap, more power and less weight and much better parts availability and variety.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't got the car yet, I have to go and take a closer look at it tomorrow. Then I'll see what I'm going to do! Thanks for the info guys!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Swap

I would go the to the Lincoln forum and ask. That switch is difficult and while it has been done, most advice is to repair the 462. As I understand it, you have steering gear issues, crossmember issues, motor mount problems and difficulty getting the engine to be low enough. That said, I have seen pictures of it done, but not easy

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stopped and looked at the car the other day, definetly not a project that I want to tackle. Car is solid, but needs a TON of work. Thanks for the info guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts