460 Ford Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Got the fuel leak resolved. I ran the pump to make sure I was working on the right fitting and somehow over night the joint self-healed.... and the one next to it had a slight leak. Hmmm. Borrowed a friends Rigid 337 37* flare tool and re-swedged the tubes on the motor end. Will eventually go back and do the rear fittings but I think the tubing will have to come out to do it. Trying not to create more side jobs and roadblocks....

Made a radiator overflow tube out of 5/16 hardline and tidied up the wiring some more.

I zero'd out the temperature fuel enrichment table and verified the learning was enabled per Holley's support site. Charged battery and checked starter circuit.

Ready to fire up which is quite a milestone for me. Going to do a final bolt n nut check and have a buddy do a independent firing order verification and inspection.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I was able to get my money pit running and kind of driving. Cam break in went OK. It fired immediately and got timing set. Right bank got hot quick and burned off all the header paint, left side still has paint. EFI didn't want to go into learn or closed loop much, so AFR on left bank was about 16. Coolant got hot so shut it down to inspect everything. Still in upper 90s here in October so put a fan on radiator. New fan clutch didn't seem to move much air. No shroud yet. Checked EFI, fluid and so on. All OK so restarted and finished break in without further issue.

Upon idle it seems to have a vacuum leak. Drives OK but bad manners at idle and gear changes. Sounds mean, nasty, but should be smooth with 213/227 cam. Pulled plugs, #2 looks brand new, and not like the rest. Did compression, cylinder contribution, spark tests, all pass. Thinking intake may be leaking on underside from crank case. Plan to do some more tests to isolate. Thanks again to Mad porter for continued support and advice.

So I call it another victory but a new list of problems;
Power steering doesn't work at all.
Rear main appears to be leaking
Transfer case PTO cover leaking
Brakes soft

I drove it a short distance. Seems to have great low end power and grunt, put a big smile on my face!
Put the hood on and cleared all the stuff out of the bed, to put a temporary bow on the project.

Reactions: kblackav8or
21 - 22 of 22 Posts