460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After breaking a rod on my 466, I’m evaluating next move. Here is what I had, 68 DOV block, stock crank, flattop pistons, cobra jet rods, Torqstorm centrifugal blower, John Kasse P-51 heads, comp cam,
.675 intake , 115 lobe separation, 850 blow through Quick fuel. It hasn’t been tore down yet, but that starts Monday. I’m sure block is toast. We assume HP is close to 700. This goes in 79 F-100. Applications are mostly street, with occasional strip. So, questions:
1. Are the D-blocks strong enuff for what I am doing. From what I’ve read they easily good to over 800, but with the blower does that change? I know the block didn’t cause this, but since I’m starting over, don’t wanna screw up.
2. Obviously the rods where the weak link. What rotating assembly would y’all use, SCAT?
3. Does this need to be girdled?
4. This is not a budget build, but trying not to break the bank either.
what little bit I drove truck before it let go, it was wicked fast, and it came apart, at bout 5200.
5. I have a reputable builder putting engine together.
I thank everyone for their help

·
Registered
285 Posts
Even though the failure happened at 5200 had the engine seen higher rpm's regularly?Complete failure doesn't always happen at the instant that the original damage was done.The only big mistake I see in your combo is the rods,the topend and cam appear to be quite capable of spinning the motor well past the capability of the stock rods.I guess what I'm trying to say is the only thing I see I would do different would be the rods provided the power output is where you guess it is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After breaking a rod on my 466, I’m evaluating next move. Here is what I had, 68 DOV block, stock crank, flattop pistons, cobra jet rods, Torqstorm centrifugal blower, John Kasse P-51 heads, comp cam,
.675 intake , 115 lobe separation, 850 blow through Quick fuel. It hasn’t been tore down yet, but that starts Monday. I’m sure block is toast. We assume HP is close to 700. This goes in 79 F-100. Applications are mostly street, with occasional strip. So, questions:
1. Are the D-blocks strong enuff for what I am doing. From what I’ve read they easily good to over 800, but with the blower does that change? I know the block didn’t cause this, but since I’m starting over, don’t wanna screw up.
2. Obviously the rods where the weak link. What rotating assembly would y’all use, SCAT?
3. Does this need to be girdled?
4. This is not a budget build, but trying not to break the bank either.
what little bit I drove truck before it let go, it was wicked fast, and it came apart, at bout 5200.
5. I have a reputable builder putting engine together.
I thank everyone for their help
For your question # 2, I have Scat H beam rods in my 460. Unfortunately, these rods have been on the bad end of dropping a valve twice and destroying a pretty good set of DOVE-C heads on the first incident. The second incident we dropped another valve and crack the cylinder and beat the piston apart. I will add that we have the same rods that have been through 2 major incidents and the SCAT H beam rods are straight as an arrow and are still in the the re-sleeved 472 CI motor running 6.40's at 106mph in a 71 mach 1. We shift at 6300. IMO, The SCAT H beams are awesome. I believe we paid in the neighborhood of $460 for the set and it was money well spent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts