460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im pretty far in my first engine build, i started with a stock 73 engine and had everything redone and the block bored .030. So far the list of mods inculde Edlebrock Preformer plus kit which is a cam, intake, and carb, The engine is going into my 1977 F150 which will be a mudder some day so im getting a set of the L&L headers with the swap. The machine shop has my block set up to a short block for me and i plan to do the rest but i have a few question as this is my 1st build, can i reuse the head bolts? I would just replace them but it about $180. And ive been looking into roller rockers but i dont know if its worth putting them on to my specific build

·
Registered
363 Posts
what is your compression if you dont have a ton of compression you can get away with reusing the stock head bolts and to me for the money a nice set of roller rockers is worth it for the performance and better wear on valve train. thats just my opinion

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Yes, Ford head bolts can be re-used on the 385 series engines, but a set of ARP studs aren't that expensive and, for my money, are a comforting piece of mind. Depending on what your budget is, most everything that you can rollerize in an engine will help you make power.....that being said, it all comes with a price. Roller rockers and lifters need regular inspection and replacement/rebuilding. So, if it's for a daily driven street engine plan on inspecting them on a regular basis. Hope that helps.
Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts