460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well everythings back together and running really strong. Can't wait to get it to the track to see what it will do.

This is basically the build up in the Engine Faq's sticky at the beginning of the Engine Tech Forum. Thanks to Chilly for that information.
Block: DIVE-6015-A2B Bored + 0.040"
Crank: Stock 2Y Turned -.010"
Pistons: Sealed Power H418CP
Cam: Lunati 61602
Heads: C9VE - Ported & Polished by Pat Foreman
Intake Flow --------- Exhaust Flow
.200 = 152.9 ------- .200 = 117.1
.300 = 227.3 ------- .300 = 151.7
.400 = 277.4 ------- .400 = 176.4
.500 = 307.8 ------- .500 = 185.9
.600 = 318.6 ------- .600 = 185.2
.700 = 327.4 ------- .700 = 185.2
Ferrea Series 5000 Race Valves -Intake valves 2.19" , Exhaust valves 1.76"
Springs: Isky 8005A
Roller Rockers ProComp #2330 1.7:1 Ratio
Push Rods: Comp Cams 7502-16 - 5/16" X 8.400" Long

Exhaust is Factory Cast Manifolds 3" pipes thru Series 40 Flomasters

Here's a video file.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,615 Posts
Hey, that's a very cool looking car. I love Torinos!
My new exhaust sounds a lot like yours on acceleration & full throttle but it's most definitely quieter at idle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comment Danny.

At some point I will probably change out the entire exhaust system. I keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a set of headers. I believe the only one making headers for this car is Hooker and they are a bit pricy. Maybe a next year project.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Intake

Is that a wieand stealth manifold? Any trouble fitting that under the GT hood? I'm trying to figure out what intake to use in my GT hooded torino. Also, that looks like a 2" filter, do you know what diameter it is? I would like to run a Performer RPM with a 3" filter but I think it is a tad to tall. Really sharp torino by the way, I really like the window tint.

Thanks
Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,615 Posts
jrocco said:
Thanks for the comment Danny.
At some point I will probably change out the entire exhaust system. I keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a set of headers. I believe the only one making headers for this car is Hooker and they are a bit pricey. Maybe a next year project.
You built a good engine my friend. It looks and sounds great! Your Torino is awesome!

Just two concerns:
1) You already know your exhaust manifolds and mufflers are corking your performance potential.
2) The Weiand Stealth intake manifold is too big (plenum) for the size camshaft your using.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
Cool ram air setup

Jerry,
I like your hood alteration to grab cool air from the hood slot. Did you make that? If you did are you interested in making another for a price?

BTW my first 521 setup was with the Stealth, drop base air cleaner and CJ mainifolds, basically your setup. The lid touch the choke horn on the carb. I noticed a difference when the air cleaner was removed.
The motor was done at 5300 rpm. Now has Edel RPM with a 3 inch tall air cleaner, and Hookers. It is very strong to 6K.
A K&N Xtreme lid may help air flow.
Your car looks awesome.

Let us know what it does at the track.

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Thats kool. I've got a 70 that I'm putting a 557 in

Your car looks great. Got a couple of questions.

I have a 1970 GT that the previous owner cloaned to a Cobra. Everything looks factory. He dropped a valve so I bought it and built a 557. I also got a true J - 38 code car when I bought it.

Did you install the engine with the exhaust attached? I'm using stock SCJ exhaust, for now, for the same reason.

Did you do a complete A/C conversion?

What type torque converter are you using?

What about your power brakes?

Thanks,
Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Intake

mdrohman said:
Is that a wieand stealth manifold? Any trouble fitting that under the GT hood? I'm trying to figure out what intake to use in my GT hooded torino. Also, that looks like a 2" filter, do you know what diameter it is? I would like to run a Performer RPM with a 3" filter but I think it is a tad to tall. Really sharp torino by the way, I really like the window tint. Thanks Matt
Hi Matt. Thanks for the nice comments.
It is a Weiand Stealth and the only air cleaner that I could find to fit under the hood is the Ford Motorsports 13" with a 2" filter. Part # FMS-M-9600-A302 at Summit Racing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Greg_Pettit said:
Wow, that sounds great, Jerry! The manifolds really give a low rumble that headers just can't provide. Congrats on the new mill! Greg
Thanks Greg. Appreciate the nice comments especially from someone with a Super Fine Magazine Queen. (LOL) Let me know when you are coming back to race in Houston.

According to Desk Top Dyno I could gain about 60 HP going to long tube Headers. Seems like a lot??????????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Cool ram air setup

Dave D said:
Jerry,
I like your hood alteration to grab cool air from the hood slot. Did you make that? If you did are you interested in making another for a price?
Dave. I custom made that plentum to fit my setup with the Weiand Stealth. The hole is actually ovaled a little, and I had to do some minor trimming after installing it. So I am not sure I could make another from my pattern that would just bolt right in a different car. If you send me a email I would be glad to send some photos of my template.

BTW my first 521 setup was with the Stealth, drop base air cleaner and CJ mainifolds, basically your setup. The lid touch the choke horn on the carb. I noticed a difference when the air cleaner was removed.
The motor was done at 5300 rpm. Now has Edel RPM with a 3 inch tall air cleaner, and Hookers. It is very strong to 6K. A K&N Xtreme lid may help air flow.
Thanks for the info on the RPM and 3" Air Cleaner. I did try the K&N Lid and with the 2" filter it would bottom out on the overflow tubes. So I never could get the right combination of drop bases and the K&N Lid to work out.

Your car looks awesome.
Thanks Dave. Really appreciate the praise.

Let us know what it does at the track.
Will do. We are going to Crusin' the Coast in Biloxi MI the 1st week of Oct and I plan to drive the Torino from Houston. When I get back I'll spend some time at the track to see how she runs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Thats kool. I've got a 70 that I'm putting a 557 in

kingquad said:
Your car looks great. Got a couple of questions.

I have a 1970 GT that the previous owner cloaned to a Cobra. Everything looks factory. He dropped a valve so I bought it and built a 557. I also got a true J - 38 code car when I bought it.

Did you install the engine with the exhaust attached? I'm using stock SCJ exhaust, for now, for the same reason.
Thanks for the praise. I did install the engine with the manifolds and the C6 Transmission attached. I left off the front pulleys, starter, and took off the power brake booster & master cylinder. I used a engine balancer and a few friends and it slid right in.

Did you do a complete A/C conversion?
Yes. The car did not have AC and my wife said if I wanted to cruise with her in the Torino I had to AC it. Since she is a total Babe I complied. (LOL). The evaporator unit I picked replaced the original heater assembly and tucked up tight under the dash. I hooked up the original heater control cables to the new Heater-AC box so the dash looks stock.

What type torque converter are you using?
It's a 2400 Stall Convertor that I got from the Mad Porter.

What about your power brakes?
Power brakes are all stock stuff. Disks up front and drums out back.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,957 Posts
jrocco said:
Greg_Pettit said:
Wow, that sounds great, Jerry! The manifolds really give a low rumble that headers just can't provide. Congrats on the new mill! Greg
Thanks Greg. Appreciate the nice comments especially from someone with a Super Fine Magazine Queen. (LOL) Let me know when you are coming back to race in Houston.

According to Desk Top Dyno I could gain about 60 HP going to long tube Headers. Seems like a lot??????????
Jerry,

I suspect that 60 HP is the least that you'd gain by going to a set of Hooker 6115's. Probably more.

BTW, I love those Stealth intakes and I respectfully disagree with Danny that it is too big.

Again, nice car and great sounding engine.

Greg
 
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Top