460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my mill together and all issues resolved after going to a different engine builder.

The build is as follows;
460 block bored over .040
Dove C heads ported by Scott Johnston, with a little extra rubbing on the exhaust ports by Dennis Woody at Woody's Automotive Machine. Milled to 72cc chambers
Victor intake polished by Scott
Diamond forged pistons with a small dome
Full roller cam around .750 lift (I'll get the exact specs and post tonight)
Solid rollers
429 Med. Truck crank offset ground to 460 stroke
Oliver billet rods
Holly 1050 Dominator
Custom headers 2-1/4 inch primary's with 4 inch collectors

At 7000 rpm it made 711 hp and was still climbing slowly so from the charts, I'm thinking it would have peaked at around 7200 at around 718-720hp.

A huge thanks goes out to Dennis Woody of Woody's Automotive Machine in Thorntown, IN for straightening out the mess that was created by my former builder, and for doing an excellent job with putting it together. Also thanks to Scott Johnston for the heads and help over the last year, and Lastly thanks to Performance Crankshafts in Detroit for the excellent work on the crankshaft.

Alan

·
Registered
31 Posts
468 dyno results

ALAN: Thanks so much for the nice responce in regards to the engine work we did for you. Its nice to know that the effort was appreciated. What started out as a dyno session turned into a large project, as many things were needed to correct some problem areas, and to increase the power level to meet your goals. You were a great customer through the entire process, and I believe that you gained a large amount of knowledge about your engine. This is an example where alittle dyno testing gained some power, and saved a lot of headache and expense in the near future. Thanks again, now get out there and kick some bowtie boys in the rear!!!!!!!!! Dennis Woody

·
Registered
20 Posts
that sounds like the perfect pulling combo, what octane are you burning?
could you give me a rough estimate on your build price carb to pan, I am getting ready to build my first pulling motor thanks.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
re Estimate

If I had to buy everything, I'd be looking in the $8000 range for parts and then block work and assembly would probably put me in the $10-12,000 range.

Right now, I'm running Maximal 118 fuel. I'll see how it does after a few pulls.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts