460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
D*mn chebby is giving me fits. Three different occasions now the tranny has had "issues" - won't shift until 3,000 rpm and then it shifts HARD. Seems to happen when I've driven it for a few hours, then stopped briefly (ie, gas stop) then when I get back on the road, it does it. Will be fine when I get in it the next day.

Trans has 100,000 miles. Used for some towing but not abused. Need to use it to tow 3-4 cars cross-country this summer, so I need the trans to be 100%.

Has had recent service, fluid, and filter change. Fluid level is fine. Has a trans cooler. This hasn't happened when towing, and have towed with it since it's happened with no problems.

Any guesses or suggestions? Should I take it to the dealer and have them scan for codes?

Guess if it needs a rebuild I'm looking at $1500 minimum, right?

Thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
theyre bad about sticking pressure control solenoids,could be sticking intermittantly, causing hi line pressure and the hard late shifts.
also with 100k it prob. needs a rebuild, i always put in new solenoids on a rebuild wherever you wake it make sure they do!$1500 is in the ballpark
scan it for codes and see if any are present for the trans.
my2cents anyway, john

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys; I'll let you know how it turns out. No other episodes since the last one, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts