460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 460 in a 87 Mustang GT Convertible, C6 and 3.73s. Would it be worth it to go with the 4r70w trans vs the AOD because of the lower 1st and 2nd gears? Or..... should I just keep the C6 and cruise the highway @ 50 MPH?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have a 4R in a 93 LX,460. I like it but....You have to shell out $1600 for some kind of adapter and a controller before you even start thinking about the transmission.Not going to lie to ya,if you're not real tech savvy,sorting the controller out can be a problem. It's amazing what they can do if you know how. I didn't,finally got mine sorted out with help. I sorta wished I would have gone with AOD.You can make them handle big power but the lock up feature isn't as good, Low 4R gears will work in an AOD but not needed in my case. The C6 is a good tranny but like you,hate the screaming motor at low speed. You will drive the car a lot more with OD.

·
Registered
39 Posts
for a fox body mustang, you dont need a lot of rear gear with the 460. i suggest running a C6 with something like a 3.00-3.25 rear gear.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I use a C6/2.75 axle behind my 557 in an 81 Mercury Zephyr wagon, and a C6/2.88 axle behind my 521 in a 3200 pound Shelby Cobra replica. Both cruise fine and will light the tires at whatever speed you want, even with 200 wear rating tires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts